SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Stash said:

Hill towns West and East of Albany average closer to 80", if you're willing to live there. I always joked that if they stuck the official snowfall measurement on Thatcher park, it would be like the difference between downtown BGM vs their airport.

With double the elevation, there is easily a 20-25" disparity in the annual average between the triple cities area (Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott) along I-86 which is around 800ft asl vs. 8 miles north at the regional airport which is 1630ft asl. And when you are talking about annual averages in the mid 50s vs. the mid 80s, that is a noticeable difference. The airport being a bit further north also puts it in a better spot for lake effect scraps off Cayuga and Ontario.

I often commute to work over the hill by way of the airport and the differences in the weather are remarkable, both in the daily weather with the temperatures, fog, and wind, and in the wake of snow storms with the accumulations. We have a fairly crazy micro climate here in Broome county. If you don't like the current weather, just wait 5 minutes as the saying goes, which can be applied across the board in Upstate NY, really.

Archived