Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian, this is why being as precise as possible is most important while reporting snow amounts because of stuff like I just saw. Seriously though, how does Cicero manage to get to 14" while directly to its West, and I mean directly, in Clay, they get 8.1" or whatever it was but I know it was an 8.  Something is definitely wrong there thats all I gotta say but I'll believe yours Bri, lol!

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Not entirely sure but I think it's a combination of factors. Not the best location for lake snows...particularly west of you towards Elmira.  They also seem to get down sloped and/or on western fringe of coastal storms.  Plus, WAA during marginal systems passing near or over CNY/WNY seems to have an easy time intruding from the Ohio valley.  I think it all adds up...maybe someone has additional insights...

That would the same conclusion I would have as well. Just a bad all round location really due to those factors and with no elevation. As you move further west along I-86 past Corning, they tend to do at least a little better when you get toward Bath and Hornell due to better elevation and closer proximity to Lake Erie on a westerly flow. That area is usually good for several advisory level events of LES each year.

Just now, BGM Blizzard said:

That would the same conclusion I would have as well. Just a bad all round location really, unfortunately.

Dansville is about the same, to far east for Lake Erie and to far west for coastal storms. I wouldn't be surprised if they have winters that average below 30".

BTW, I had about 2.5" in Nunda and about 5" in downtown Rochester. 

55 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Brian, this is why being as precise as possible is most important while reporting snow amounts because of stuff like I just saw. Seriously though, how does Cicero manage to get to 14" while directly to its West, and I mean directly, in Clay, they get 8.1" or whatever it was but I know it was an 8.  Something is definitely wrong there thats all I gotta say but I'll believe yours Bri, lol!

I saw that 14"...no comment.  All i can say is there is a cocorahs reporter quite near to me and they reported 10.2/1.07 to my 10.1/0.97.  I sometimes wonder if my spot gets a bit obstructed with high winds...i saw that in Nov storm. But usually its pretty good and consistent with nearby precip reports...

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Which town in the Capital Region tends to do the best annually when it comes to snow?

Hopefully one the ENY contributors responds, but FWIW I lived in Clifton Park for 3 years so I'm familiar with the area.  I'd say the hilltowns east or west of Albany...up out of the valley that do best.  Thinking East Greenbush area east of Hudson River and prob Delanson / Duanesburg to the west but they are on outer fringe of Cap region.  There have been events where eastern hilltowns got smoked and valley gets downsloped af.  If you live in the valley, north of city is usually better. I avoided a few mixing events being 10 miles north of Albany vs south...

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

If we are talking "true"Capital region then probably out near sch sch sch schenectady..At the very least it was always colder out that way with better snow depth..(compared to Troy/Albany)

Depends on where his work would be....Schenectady itself...#notgood..

51 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yes. BGM and TYX radar not updating from NWS website when I tried a half hour ago...

AWIPS outage Nationwide affecting radar on NWS sites. 3rd party vendors like GR and Radarscope still working though, so you can still get radar data in real time. Found the info in New England forum. 

13 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Lazy nws in Buffalo issued same afd from yesterday. Guess I am only one who sees potential with next system for Lake snow

???

That WFO issues the most technical, detailed, and complex AFDs in the entire service. They're far from lazy. Operationally, any AFD tends to build upon previous products, including keeping the same verbiage if the forecaster concurs with the previous AFD. But notably, this afternoon's discussion omits this from yesterday's language.

This stated...any resulting accumulations should be on the light to modest side through Wednesday... with the greatest amounts found within the favorable areas of enhancement east of the lakes.

I'm totally bitter about how horrible this winter has been for our part of the state, but that's not the fault of a forecaster. They're not pushing out forecasts you don't like just to mess with you.

Kbgm

Lake-effect snow showers should settle in on Wednesday behind the
front. In a synoptic sense, the advertised pattern (only slowly
departing, closed, and deep vortex over the Canadian Maritimes)
favors a prolonged lake-effect event at least through Thursday.
Although the air mass is not tremendously cold, model sounding
progs indicate fairly deep wrap-around moisture, with the capping
inversion elevated to between 700 and 800 mb. Given a projected
280-300 low-level wind trajectory, we`ll go ahead and add the
possibility of locally significant accumulations this period for
Onondaga, Madison, and Oneida counties in the hazardous weather

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Does elevation around Albany meaningfully change annual totals?

I still need to get up there to see a 40+ snowfall.  

Yes...downtown Albany and Troy are essentially at sea level. There have been quite a few storms with marginal temps where the valley got slush while elevations got a foot or two.

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks. Looking for a new job and I may end up in the area. I can't make the same mistake I did by moving to my current location (if I can help it) :lol: 

Trying to find the sweet spot wx wise. I know y'all do severe pretty decently too with those fronts dropping down in the summer. 

Here is the 30-year annual snowfall average map from the Northeast Regional Climate Center (NRCC). Definitely avoid the immediate HRV for sure. Given the city proper is in the northeast quadrant of the county, you could head east into Renssalaer toward the New Eng border or west into Schenectady toward the Duanesburg/Delanson area and do pretty well and still have a reasonable commute.

NERCC Snowfall Map.PNG

Archived