joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vortmax said:

MJO looks to move rapidly into 7 and 8 on the next couple of weeks, seems contrary to the CFS outlook.

The op GFS doesn't look all that torchy thru h384. But it doesnt show anything really locked in. It has storms passing well south and also to the west next week which would be infuriating if it occurs.  We'll have to see after that.  

Looks like L Ontario band is going to be mostly up in Oswego cty for the duration. Fulton to Oswego to Parish and then the Tug should do well!  Flurries here in Syracuse.

The 12Z operational GFS trended a little warmer with next week's storm as it winds up low pressure over lower Michigan. But after about 6 hours in the warm sector a secondary low forms almost right over us and draws cold air back in. The final details on this storm won't be in until next week. Looks like more LES in the wake of it. I measured 4 inches of snow in the 8 AM to 1 PM period on top of 1.5 last night so pushing half a foot. Channel 9 is showing another band over northern Onondaga later this afternoon so we'll see if that verifies. 

Well, looks like its time to haul down the snow advisories SE of lake O. As suspected, its not happening this eve, again modeled too far south.  Suprised BGM bit, but whatevs.  Central and No. Oswego county looks good tonight. Next event looks to be the rainmaker next tues/wed.

Edit: picked up 2.5" today, total of 4". BGM had 4-6" here so a good call on snowfall.

I regularly lurk on the forum but rarely post as I don't have much to offer.  I greatly appreciate your guys' time and effort regarding winter weather forecasts!  

My family has a small camp near Snow Ridge in Turin and we have been here since Tuesday.  There is currently about as much snow as we see max each winter on the ground, with much more forecast.  We shoveled 2.5ft of snow off the roof in preparation for the next 2-3ft today through Saturday.  As of yesterday, fields on top of the hill (+/-2,000ft elevation) have +/-5ft of snow in them.  We are at about 1,300ft elevation and there is about 4ft on the ground in the back lawn (we shoveled the roof in early January before the warmup).

At home in the hills between Sidney/Walton (+/- 1,700ft) we have been slowly building a snowpack of 5-6" over the last week.  It is pitiful compared to the Tug, but it's a good start to being able to snowmobile and snowshoe at home!  

IMG_6826.JPG

For anybody who wants to see deep snow, you'll always be disappointed looking for it on or near I-81.  You have to go east toward Winona State Forest / Redfield / Osceola / West Leyden / Turin to see the deep snow on the ground.  Even the hamlet of Redfield almost always has a significantly smaller snowpack than areas just 2 or 3 miles north or east of there.  There is a road between Osceola and West Leyden (Osceola Road?) that would be a good road to drive.  Or go north on I-81 to Adams, head East on NYS Route 177, and then head south on any plowed road near Barnes Corners.

Awesome picks !!!

We should finally be at or just above the century mark here in Fulton, a good showing tonight would be a big step towards hitting the seasonal avg.. NWS currently going with 9"-17" from this afternoon through tomorrow AM..Obviously nowhere near the snow depth of that up north but still a respectable showing..Enjoy guys!!!

IMG_0477.JPG

I heard on channel 9 this morning that the Town of Redfield actually is telling snowmobiles to stay away this weekend because there's too much snow. I guess some of the secondary roads still need to be cleared and there's no place for sledders to park their rigs. 

http://www.localsyr.com/news/please-dont-snowmobile-in-redfield-this-weekend-highway-supervisor-asks/649264452

Edit:  added link. 

Archived