SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Rochester is closing in on a half inch right now.  .25" of sleet and now .25" of wet snow.   Pretty tame.  Grass is still visible....

Should of listened to yoiu days ago when you said this was looking like a cold cold rain for the area and you were mostly right except for the sleet!

Well that certainly is the little deformation band that could.  Light to moderate snow from noon on has now brought us up to a respectable 3-4 inches (heavy stuff).

I actually got to run the snowblower for a few minutes.  Now if we can just hold this base through the couple mild days ahead, we'll have snow on the ground for the next few weeks.  

I told you guys this storm had extremely high bust potential. It ended up coming to fruition, the NWS went really high with snowfall amounts with marginal temps. Rochester still made out better than I thought they would.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

33 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well that certainly is the little deformation band that could.  Light to moderate snow from noon on has now brought us up to a respectable 3-4 inches (heavy stuff).

I actually got to run the snowblower for a few minutes.  Now if we can just hold this base through the couple mild days ahead, we'll have snow on the ground for the next few weeks.  

That's a big iff IMO. I could see it getting warm in 2 weeks. The long range temp. outlook has been absolutely deplorable. The Euro weeklies have been showing cold air for weeks 3-7 for the last 3 months and it's never come to fruition. I wonder if the Euro upgrade made it worse if that's possible?

3 hours ago, WxNoob said:

Ended up with about 5 inches of heavy wet snow here in Lansing.  Some trees and branches were down in the area from the freezing rain prior to the snow.

Nice WX, and welcome to the forums haven't seen you post before.

Pattern literally changes with every run, there is just zero consistency right now. GEM/GFS has a nice clipper setup with quite a few LES chances with changing winds. Arctic air is still no where to be found so the LES won't be to intense and be more enhanced as the clippers come through.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2017012500/gem_asnow_neus_40.png

Yup, plenty of snowfall opportunities over the next 7-10 days..

Thursday Night
Snow showers likely before 10pm, then snow between 10pm and 1am, then snow showers likely after 1am. Low around 31. West wind 15 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Friday
Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night
Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday
Snow. High near 31. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Monday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 26. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Monday Night
Snow. Low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT
SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...OSWEGO...JEFFERSON...AND LEWIS COUNTIES. GREATEST
  SNOW AMOUNTS EXPECTED TO FOCUS ON THE TUG HILL PLATEAU AND
  PORTIONS OF OSWEGO COUNTY.

* TIMING...FROM LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY
  EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...FOUR DAY STORM TOTALS MAY EXCEED 2 FEET IN THE
  MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS

* WINDS...WEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH PRODUCING BLOWING
  AND DRIFTING SNOW AT TIMES.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...PERIODS OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL PRODUCE VERY
  DIFFICULT TRAVEL AT TIMES WITH POOR VISIBILITY AND SNOW COVERED
  ROADS. THIS WILL BE A LONG LASTING EVENT...WITH SEVERAL DAYS OF
  DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MEDIUM TO HIGH

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Moderate snow here with absolutely nothing on radar...

Same here...maybe a quick inch this a.m.  looks to be last accum snow till next week perhaps. This next LES event should be up on the Tug.  You might grab some in Fulton hopefully.

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nice WX, and welcome to the forums haven't seen you post before.

Pattern literally changes with every run, there is just zero consistency right now. GEM/GFS has a nice clipper setup with quite a few LES chances with changing winds. Arctic air is still no where to be found so the LES won't be to intense and be more enhanced as the clippers come through.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2017012500/gem_asnow_neus_40.png

Thanks BuffaloWeather, moved from Brooklyn  to Lansing in the fall so this is my first winter in the area - Loving it so far!  Was lucky enough to experience the storms of my life living in the New York area (Sandy and the 30 inch 2016 blizzard)

Fascinating  event to say the least , obviously the initial storm was a bust with only a coating of snow then we snowed light all day yesterday (strictly eyeballing around 2"), we had a snowy mist overnight before a burst of moderate snow this morning before changing to light freezing drizzle for about an hr and now back to light (at times moderate) snow..

Welcome to the forum NOOB!! I myself grew up in Staten Island (worked in BK many years) and then relocated from NJ up here, this is my 2nd winter and I also love it lol I lived 20 miles inland along the jersey coast during sandy, definitely was not fun lol And 2 weeks later we picked up over a foot of snow in November!!! Best storm of my lifetime was 96 and probably always will be.. Take care ..

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Moderate snow here with absolutely nothing on radar...

NWS radars are overshooting this band of snow. Channel 9's local Doppler is showing a narrow band of snow that's moving northward. I got next to nothing from the deformation band yesterday. I'll probably get more snow out of this little band than from the synoptic system. 

Noticed ensembles and even op gfs point to a more seasonable late jan and early feb which ought to yield a few synoptic opportunities ahead and lake snow up on the Tug and CR.  Notably, the core of the cold is modeled to be restrained in Canada, which us usual, but enough of a PNA structure seems to persist to keep northeast US seasonable.  And that's fine as reliving another "Polar Vortex" February is frankly not on my bucket list.  We'll see. 

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Noticed ensembles and even op gfs point to a more seasonable late jan and early feb which ought to yield a few synoptic opportunities ahead and lake snow up on the Tug and CR.  Notably, the core of the cold is modeled to be restrained in Canada, which us usual, but enough of a PNA structure seems to persist to keep northeast US seasonable.  And that's fine as reliving another "Polar Vortex" February is frankly not on my bucket list.  We'll see. 

EPO is progged to go negative which should help keep that milder, pacific air from flooding the country. AO may even dip below 0 as well in Feb. Would be nice to have the colder air needed to prevent squandering synoptic opportunities like we just experienced.

3 hours ago, WxNoob said:

Thanks BuffaloWeather, moved from Brooklyn  to Lansing in the fall so this is my first winter in the area - Loving it so far!  Was lucky enough to experience the storms of my life living in the New York area (Sandy and the 30 inch 2016 blizzard)

That is awesome. I remember being on the forums nonstop during Sandy. The stories I heard were insane, definitely a storm of a lifetime. One of these days I'll be right in the eye of a Hurricane. ^_^

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's a big iff IMO. I could see it getting warm in 2 weeks. The long range temp. outlook has been absolutely deplorable. The Euro weeklies have been showing cold air for weeks 3-7 for the last 3 months and it's never come to fruition. I wonder if the Euro upgrade made it worse if that's possible?

Yeah and the weeklies are doing horrendous.  The Euro **** the bed with this system that just busted and the GFS and NAM were victorious! Personally Spring can't come any sooner for me as now were gonna miiss this 5 day LES event here in the Cuse so we may end up way way below or 123" average which is becoming common!

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah and the weeklies are doing horrendous.  The Euro **** the bed with this system that just busted and the GFS and NAM were victorious! Personally Spring can't come any sooner for me as now were gonna miiss this 5 day LES event here in the Cuse so we may end up way way below or 123" average which is becoming common!

Hey Ty!  Per my records, since 2004...we have only had 2 winters appreciably under my long term avg...which is about 125-130"...last year being a Yuge  miss.  I dont have the numbers right in front of me now but thats my recollection.  

And i think i agree that the upcoming LES is gonna be pretty much a non-event for us...maybe a few hours of snow at some point.  I am at around 65" for season so we will probably need a big Feb/March to pull this one out of the ditch.

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Hey Ty!  Per my records, since 2004...we have only had 2 winters appreciably under my long term avg...which is about 125-130"...last year being a Yuge  miss.  I dont have the numbers right in front of me now but thats my recollection.  

And i think i agree that the upcoming LES is gonna be pretty much a non-event for us...maybe a few hours of snow at some point.  I am at around 65" for season so we will probably need a big Feb/March to pull this one out of the ditch.

Its just amazing to me that it will do anything, to NOT snow here this particular year, because we've had chances but they just crumble upon impact.  I'm just amazed how every event either misses us to the East, or most of the time they head up the ORV and just West of Lake Erie and then through Ontario ( Lately anyway, obviously pattern dependent) but that's been our basic pattern, lol, it seems like for ever.  I realize we're not particularly prone to dynamic Synoptic systems due to our proximity, distance from the Atlantic but then again ENY hasn't faired too well either, unless I'm mistaken and please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Then I won't even go into the LES events as I thought being in Pennellville was bad but here just North of Syracuse is even worse.  I know 10 miles South isn't a lot but with respect to LES, it sure is, lol.  I think I'm gonna try to find some property in between Pennellville and Mexico since the wife works downtown, so we don't wanna be too far from the city because her commute living up there , if we were to find something, would be down right treacherous so.....

People up North right now don't even care that they missed out on the Synoptic event because there gonna get absolutely blitzed the next few/several days, while we watch a stray furry fly by while we stare out our windows, except when there's that sw that drops a trace every so often as they go by, just to watch the winds go back to the W after their passage. why can't we get what we got in November now, at least it'll stay around a while, well not this yr, but why in November.  That's why the Weather is so intriguing to me cause you never know what's next and trying to find out is almost impossible!

Just venting cause that system, if it had been 7 degrees colder would of been a nice, not epic or historic but a decent plowable snowfall.  This event started out forecasted to be a predominantly NW-WNW flow event, until a day ago then it changed as the meso's got a handle on how the bust system is gonna effect the BL winds suppose.

Anyway, I'm just venting my frustration cause I had such high hopes for this Winter seeing how the last couple have been, I thought this one would of made of forget about those, lol, but I guess not.  Enjoy the flurries the end of the week through the weekend.  maybe one of these sw's will surprise us, lol, doubt it but just trying to be optimistic.

Whats up to the new guy in the thread, if ya read through his long winded post, lol, WXNood I believe it is, if not sorry but anyway WELCOME to the snowiest thread within the community. But we get no Synoptic systems, lol, just LE if your in a good area, otherwise shellshocked you will be from lack of snow but don't concerned as its not common.

9 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I'm happy with 6-8 if I extrapolate that snow map, but I know better.  1-2" if we'ere lucky this go around!

That BUF map can't be extrapolated south for LES...never works out, unless you take the amount in extreme So. Oswego county (like 1/4 mile from my place) and divide by 2, or more usually 3.  So 8-12" becomes say, 2-4".  Which is reasonable for a few hrs of snow here and there over a 4 day period.

Archived