Jan 23-24th Nor'easter Nowcast/Obs

dmillz25

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Not seeing the 8 either 

30 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

4.8" of sleet at 6am

1.4" of sleet/snow between 345pm-730pm

1.7" new snow from 7:30- present

that's 7.9" and NONE of those readings for OBS that are being reported around here are far fetched....they coincide with everyone else in the area...not argueing about this with someone 100+ miles away questioning my OBS... lol

Trolls are really out tonight huh?

you really busted bad up here bro...Nam just being the Nam lmao

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

You got no sleet this afternoon? Before snow?

Nothing measurable. Was mostly freezing rain and rain this afternoon though I never got above 33 all day. Sleet mixed in again about 6 or so all snow again since 7:30.

Nice surprise tonight wasn't expecting this much. Thought maybe we'd get 2-3 inches of sleet yesterday but did not expect a storm total that's now over 6 and counting. And I hated this storm two days ago.

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Nothing measurable. Was mostly freezing rain and rain this afternoon though I never got above 33 all day. Sleet mixed in again about 6 or so all snow again since 7:30.

Nice surprise tonight wasn't expecting this much. Thought maybe we'd get 2-3 inches of sleet yesterday but did not expect a storm total that's now over 6 and counting. And I hated this storm two days ago.

Yea I picked up my additional acc from the sleet I saw after 330pm, was heavy as last night till it flipped back to snow, was rain from 630am-330pm roughly .25"rain

8 hours ago, masomenos said:

Somebody posted an article about that one a few years ago or so. Would like to read that again--had to have been UncleW of DonS who posted it.

From what I remember, there was like 4-5" of liquid and it alternated between crappy snow and sleet. Really crippled the city as you can imagine.

Must've had lots of broken shovels and plows with that!

We had some sleet tonight but nothing out of the ordinary.

Still hearing some pinging from time to time.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

30.4 and still snowing lightly but accumulating snow pretty much over.
2.1 inches of snow tonight 4.3 inches of sleet last night.
6.4 inch storm total. It probably would have been about 2 feet of snow but I have no complaints.

You guys who got multiple inches of sleet will probably see this staying around for awhile, sleet has staying power and we're going into a coldish pattern for awhile.

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

1.8 inches of snow tonight since 7:30 changeover.

On top of the 4.3 inches of sleet last night brings the storm total to 6.1 inches.

Would have taken some pretty bad odds betting 24 hours ago that this storm wouldn't come close to 6.

Drove through woodbury on my way home from work about an hour ago... Looked like you guys on that side of the county picked up an additional 2" and it was still snowing 

8 hours ago, snywx said:

Drove through woodbury on my way home from work about an hour ago... Looked like you guys on that side of the county picked up an additional 2" and it was still snowing 

I received 2.1 inches last night from snow that started at 7:30 and ended around 11:00.

Puts me at 6.4 total for the storm, 4.3 inches of sleet and 2.1 of snow. After yesterday afternoons rain and freezing rain it's now compressed into 4.8 inches of concrete this morning. Even with the next two days in the 40's this isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Season total now 25.4 already beat last years pathetic 24.9

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I received 2.1 inches last night from snow that started at 7:30 and ended around 11:00.

Puts me at 6.4 total for the storm, 4.3 inches of sleet and 2.1 of snow. After yesterday afternoons rain and freezing rain it's now compressed into 4.8 inches of concrete this morning. Even with the next two days in the 40's this isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Season total now 25.4 already beat last years pathetic 24.9

I beat last years pathetic total by christmas! Lol..

13 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

you don't add up the storm parts anymore. the storm total is the max depth

This. And if there is a change of precip, you measure depth at that point. And if no change, then only 1 measurement in a 24 hour period or when the entire event ends.

14 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

Using that method I had sleet from 7pm to 7am of 4.3 inches, freezing rain and rain from 7Am to 7PM which compressed everything , than 2.1 inches of snow from 7PM to 11PM with a final depth of 4.8 and a final total of 6.4 for an event 36 hours in duration.

Using that logic if I had two feet of snow for the first 12 hours of the storm, and torrential rain and temps in the 50's for the next 12 hours and that compressed the 24 inches of snow to 8 inches and I topped that off with 2 inches for the tail end of the storm leaving a snow depth of 10 inches then a 10 inches would be my storm total and not a storm total of 26?

If that's a fact than the NWS has lost their F'n minds.

18 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

There is a little bit of wiggle room in long duration events since you should wipe the board once per day, preferably at the same time each day.

It is no longer accepted to start fresh when the ptype changes.  The max depth in 24 hours still applies.  So if you get 6" of snow pounded down to a 4" depth by 2" of sleet, the snowfall reported should be 6" (not 8").  I don't agree with this in this scenario, but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Using that method I had sleet from 7pm to 7am of 4.3 inches, freezing rain and rain from 7Am to 7PM which compressed everything , than 2.1 inches of snow from 7PM to 11PM with a final depth of 4.8 and a final total of 6.4 for an event 36 hours in duration.

Official snowfall total in this instance should be 4.8" if it all occurred in 24 hours.  If you wipe the board every morning at 7AM, then the totals reported would be 4.3" for day 1 and 2.1" for day 2.

Using that logic if I had two feet of snow for the first 12 hours of the storm, and torrential rain and temps in the 50's for the next 12 hours and that compressed the 24 inches of snow to 8 inches and I topped that off with 2 inches for the tail end of the storm leaving a snow depth of 10 inches then a 10 inches would be my storm total and not a storm total of 26?

Your snow total would be 24", i.e., the max depth.  If wiping a board every 24 hours, the follow up 2" might be reported on Day 2.  It's all in the timing.  A little whacky, but not as out to lunch as you implied.

If that's a fact than the NWS has lost their F'n minds.

the February 2014 storm had 9-10" of snow before changing to rain for over 12 hours...it ended as 3" of snow the next morning...was it a 12" snowfall or a 9" and 3" snowfalls?...The February 1972 KU storm and the Dec. 1969 KU storm were similar but with half the amount of 2014's...Those events suck but it's better than all rain...

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Official snowfall total in this instance should be 4.8" if it all occurred in 24 hours.  If you wipe the board every morning at 7AM, then the totals reported would be 4.3" for day 1 and 2.1" for day 2.

Better but still leaves the extreme case of I could get 8 inches of snow in 8 hours, wash it away with 8 hours of rain and mild and end the storm with 8 inches of backend snow (I know in what universe) but the 8 inch max depth for the day is now the total snow for the day and not the 16 inches that fell?

No wonder those a holes always under measure snow at Central Park, the NWS gives them rules that make no sense, they probably have no idea what to do.

Wiping the board clean every 6 hours seemed to finally make sense. When did they change that and who was the genius behind these new rules? It seems insane to me, but hey that's me.

Just now, uncle W said:

the February 2014 storm had 9-10" of snow before changing to rain for over 12 hours...it ended as 3" of snow the next morning...was it a 12" snowfall or a 9" and 3" snowfalls?...The February 1972 KU storm and the Dec. 1969 KU storm were similar but with half the amount of 2014's...Those events suck but it's better than all rain...

I recall 2 bouts of 5 or 6 inches of snow with rain in between washing most of it away in February 72.  I was young and my memory might be faulty, but since about 6" was reported as the days snowfall, they were using maximum depth.

February 2014 might have been when they were still wiping the board every 6 hours; I don't recall when the new guidelines started.

So does the max depth method apply to records for 24 hour snowfall too?

Say for instance it snows 10" on January 24th but compacts down to 5" later in the day due to rain, then on the 25th, an additional 10" falls.

So the storm total is reported as 15", but the daily summaries will add up to 20" on the F6?

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Better but still leaves the extreme case of I could get 8 inches of snow in 8 hours, wash it away with 8 hours of rain and mild and end the storm with 8 inches of backend snow (I know in what universe) but the 8 inch max depth for the day is now the total snow for the day and not the 16 inches that fell?

No wonder those a holes always under measure snow at Central Park, the NWS gives them rules that make no sense, they probably have no idea what to do.

Wiping the board clean every 6 hours seemed to finally make sense. When did they change that and who was the genius behind these new rules? It seems insane to me, but hey that's me.

If I was in charge, I'd keep the current max depth guidelines with the one significant change that you do wipe the board and start over after a complete phase change.  But the important thing is that we all follow the same rules.  There is only one currently correct way and many currently wrong ways to do it.

2 minutes ago, masomenos said:

So does the max depth method apply to records for 24 hour snowfall too?

Say for instance it snows 10" on January 24th but compacts down to 5" later in the day due to rain, then on the 25th, an additional 10" falls.

So the storm total is reported as 15", but the daily summaries will add up to 20" on the F6?

If you wipe the board every day at midnight, snowfall reported would be 10" for the 24th and 10" for the 25th.  If at some other time, then the answer is, it depends on how much fell before and after the time when the board is wiped.

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I recall 2 bouts of 5 or 6 inches of snow with rain in between washing most of it away in February 72.  I was young and my memory might be faulty, but since about 6" was reported as the days snowfall, they were using maximum depth.

February 2014 might have been when they were still wiping the board every 6 hours; I don't recall when the new guidelines started.

I checked the almanac and Feb 72 had one storm that started as snow on the 3rd...4-5" of snow on the 6th...heavy rain on the 13th...2" of evening snow on the 17th...the storm i mentioned on the 19th...5" the first part and 1" at the end...5" of snow on the 23rd...rain on the 26th...

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

" If the snow event ends well before the end of the 24-hour observing period make the 24-hour measurement at the end of the snow event, if possible.

If snow falls later in the 24-hour period an additional measurement can be made but report only the largest accumulated snowfall total.

No matter how many times it snows during the 24-hour period report only the
SINGLE highest snowfall amount that accumulated on the SMB. Only clear the snowboard at the end of the 24-hour observing
period.
If you cannot take a measurement at the end of the snow event, measure it as soon as
possible after the event ends and no later than the official observation time."

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You think anyone reads? :)

3.1.1. Once-per-day snowfall measurements

Observers in networks such as the NWS Cooperative Observer Program network are typically required to take measurements only once per day. The SMB should be cleared at the end of the 24-hour period in preparation for measuring snowfall during the next observing period.

Measure the maximum depth of snow that has accumulated on your snow measurement board (or other approved surface) since the previous snowfall observation. This measurement should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) within the past 24 hours even if this total occurs at a time preceding the regularly scheduled observation time

8 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I checked the almanac and Feb 72 had one storm that started as snow on the 3rd...4-5" of snow on the 6th...heavy rain on the 13th...2" of evening snow on the 17th...the storm i mentioned on the 19th...5" the first part and 1" at the end...5" of snow on the 23rd...rain on the 26th...

I was a kid on LI for the 2/19 and I am pretty sure we had a good dumping at the back end...so NYC may have been different.  Or I could be too young to remember correctly.  I do know the sledding was good the next morning.

I remember the 5" on the 23rd being described as from "an upper air disturbance".  By Gordon Barnes, I think.

Archived