Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24th Nor'easter Nowcast/Obs

dmillz25

10 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It's sleet, not high ratio lake effect.  No compaction.  That being said, sleet bombs are cool for that very reason.  Would make a great base if only we could transition right back into real winter.  The 5" of sleet we had here on St Patrick's Day 2007 lasted longer than I have ever seen snow last at that time of year.  It also made a great cross country skiing surface.  It's like the groomed machine snow at a downhill area.  Only time I ever downhilled the woods behind my house.

Sleet bombs rock.  Enjoy it!

Haha. That's awesome. 

Long duration sleet storms are probably more rare than 18"+ snowstorms around here--takes a lot of different moving parts in the atmosphere to align for these events to happen. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Long duration sleet storms are probably more rare than 18"+ snowstorms around here--takes a lot of different moving parts in the atmosphere to align for these events to happen. 

Absolutely.  I can only think of 3 and all 3 were in 2007 (Valentines, St Patricks, and one in December).  Here in Smithtown, St Patrick's dwarfed the other 2.  But I've lost count of the big snowstorms (which is a good thing :) )

24 minutes ago, masomenos said:

Haha. That's awesome. 

I don't think this will be as much as March '07. There isn't quite as much QPF,  but the main difference is the atmosphere is a lot warmer, esp surface temps, which will cut down on accumulations as some will melt as it lies.

11 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Absolutely.  I can only think of 3 and all 3 were in 2007 (Valentines, St Patricks, and one in December).  Here in Smithtown, St Patrick's dwarfed the other 2.  But I've lost count of the big snowstorms (which is a good thing :) )

The only other event that sticks out to me is Christmas 02...think we had about an inch or so of sleet from that one before it flipped to rain. But yeah, the St. Patrick's storm is in a league of its own. Nothing comes close. I'll never forget shoveling that one...a single scoop of the 7" of sleet was equivalent to lifting over 20" of snow. Might have as well been rocks. :lol:

8 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I don't think this will be as much as March '07. There isn't quite as much QPF,  but the main difference is the atmosphere is a lot warmer, esp surface temps, which will cut down on accumulations as some will melt as it lies.

Yeah probably not, but a few places might get close. That stuff doesn't really melt much...the bigger issue will be if they can get enough precip. Given the look of the radar, 4-5 shouldn't be out of reach. Assuming they don't flip to something else of course

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

With that, the rest of Long Island are down to wind advisories. I don't think I've had a gust over 45 mph or so and I'm right on the coast. 

I think you hit at least 50.  Jones beach and Gilgo were ripping hard when I took those videos.  It was hard staying on my feet.  Overall this storm was underwhelming here.   The beaches took a beating though. 

35 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I think you hit at least 50.  Jones beach and Gilgo were ripping hard when I took those videos.  It was hard staying on my feet.  Overall this storm was underwhelming here.   The beaches took a beating though. 

For sure and most likely recently. Buoy 44025 backs up what I have been experiencing with sustained winds lower then earlier but gusts stronger. 

5 hours ago, masomenos said:

Haha. That's awesome. 

Back in 1922 there was a weird storm that dumped something like 20" of sleet.

6 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

2.0" of sleet, with a bit of snow, from this storm. Valentines 2007 is still my top sleet storm here.

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Definitely right on the cusp of major flooding here. The end of my street is completely under water. Highest tides from a nor'easter in years. 

Same here along the Great South Bay. Looks like the actual tide level is a little lower than the Tax Day nor'easter in April 2007 and  close to 10/18/2009.

Archived