joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Huge Damaging Nor'easter Obs

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just under 2" of sleet, with a tiny bit of snow. Must had had some freezing rain too overnight as everything is sagging with glaze.  Woke up to light snow, so a little bit of everything. Would have finally been epic back here with a colder airmass but still a neat storm. I can't remember one producing this much sleet.  Maybe back in the 80's or 90's while in CT.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

2" on the board...most of the event was ZR it seemed.  A lot of branches down locally but I'm in an area with a lot of evergreens.  

Havent seen any hardwood stuff down.  But some of these evergreen branches are huge. DIT style.

Not that I looked at VT, but I guess the snow didn't pan out. I thought it would be at least some snow there closer to the pivot.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I wasn't thinking snow. Nam seems to have it as sleet. Not to say NAM is right, but it's got the hot hand this winter.. so I'll at least consider it

We lose some of the cold just off the deck in the 900-950 layer. It might be sleet, but it could be a 33 rain too.

Took a walk with the dog.   Measured in numerous spots.  3-3.5" but I'm guessing the wind piled it up so I'm sticking to my 3" report.  

Almost zero sleet.   I know I got a little from the pings but the stuff on the ground is all snow.   Roads are very slippery where they plowed due to freezing mist

29.2F

19 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Took a walk with the dog.   Measured in numerous spots.  3-3.5" but I'm guessing the wind piled it up so I'm sticking to my 3" report.  

Almost zero sleet.   I know I got a little from the pings but the stuff on the ground is all snow.   Roads are very slippery where they plowed due to freezing mist

29.2F

What is it Dave, like 3:1 man snow?

Just now, DavisStraight said:

How are the roads in Worc Will? I'm supposed to go in to the city today, may go tomorrow instead.

Main roads were mostly fine with a few exceptions, but I'd assume they are clear by now...back roads were snow/sleet covered, but I suspect they will be improving fairly rapidly today with salters out in force.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty classic pixie dust sleet ratio....when it's 100% pure scalping, the ratio is usually closer to 2 to 1.

My experience with 100% sleet has been closer to 3:1, though it's a small sample as there's usually some ZR taint.

Had 1" of heavily rimed 7:1 grit with temp 23-24F when I left the house at 6:30.  Commute took 1:05 instead of the usual 45 min, and there was 5/8" of nearly pure ball bearings outside our office, which is 2 miles SE and 220' lower than the airport co-op site.  Had a band of 40-45 dbz stuff pass over the house 8-9 AM and some 25-35 after that, and a call from the homefront about 8:15 reported very heavy (and near-horizontal) snow.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My experience with 100% sleet has been closer to 3:1, though it's a small sample as there's usually some ZR taint.

Had 1" of heavily rimed 7:1 grit with temp 23-24F when I left the house at 6:30.  Commute took 1:05 instead of the usual 45 min, and there was 5/8" of nearly pure ball bearings outside our office, which is 2 miles SE and 220' lower than the airport co-op site.  Had a band of 40-45 dbz stuff pass over the house 8-9 AM and some 25-35 after that, and a call from the homefront about 8:15 reported very heavy (and near-horizontal) snow.

A lot depends on the temp too...if you are getting a pure scalping at like 31-32F, the ratio will be lower, but if it's 25F, then it will probably accumulate much better. Though in my experience, it's somewhat rare to get 100% sleet once you get colder than mid 20s...there's usually some really fine dust in there that aids in the accumulation. (since mid 20s at sfc usually means that you're probably in the teens around 900-925 which is cold enough for ice crystal nucleation)

Last night here was def in the 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 range, but there was a lot of actual snow mixing in. There were periods where it went to just about all snow.

The one great thing though about some good sleet is that it makes the snow banks look a lot better...looks more like an 8 inch storm than a 4 inch storm:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived