Newest Member
    joxey
Huge Damaging Nor'easter Obs

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...a hair over 1" of sleet here. I got beat by Nashua and Lowell. What a useless storm.

Useless is right.

This crap is hard enough to predict as is. When you have a +1C 300 foot deep layer at 775 mb at 06z, and the precip comes in all FZRA. Then we warm to +4C and it flips to PL and SN. 

4 minutes ago, Snowbelt said:

My backyard, just taken....

unnamed.jpg

Just now, Snowbelt said:

That's the pool :). 

Weird storm.  In the eastern part of Townsend we miraculously stayed mostly snow - 4" total.  There seemed to be a pocket from Nashoba Valley through eastern ORH county that escaped most of the sleet that dominated large areas to our north and west.  It just seemed to be a continuation of the light snow that fell all day Monday.

I think we're also getting mainly PL because of the low level cold wedge. Not because of the depth of it, but because we're generating ice crystals in it. It's hard to maintain supercooled water droplets if they are colliding with ice crystals on the way down.

So we could be starting as something that would be FZRA, but it collides with an ice crystals on the way down and flash freezes to PL.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

!

I just put more thistle out yesterday too.

What are your cedar waxwings attracted to? I've never seen one here.

Berries, though I don't have any anymore. They were probably looking for my mountain ash tree, which used to be where I'm sitting right now.  They don't seem to want to give up hope that it will spontaneously grow back.

44 minutes ago, White Rain said:

They took down the 4.5 reading in sterling on latest pws from 500am. I measured 5" total an hour ago. Even with compaction since this event started on the 22nd, I have 4.5" on the ground here. I think the nws is reluctant to have that kind of a total here since the reports north of here have been for the most part less.

Legit legit....just measured 4" in N ORH. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Your victory was your forecast.  Good job sniffing this out.

Well I lucked out a bit for our backyards. The NAM was too warm, but the GFS and Euro were too cold. SE NH and parts of N MA scored some snow with the extra lift. I don't think that would've happened had the NAM thermal profile fully panned out. The 6z NAM analysis sounding cooled to completely below freezing here yet we had all sleet...so go figure. You had sleet back to ALB and BTV so the warm models were more right than wrong. Maybe some salt nuclei and stronger low level lift in the cold layer helped closer to the coast with onshore flow?

Some impressive rainfall.   Drought dented

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     RAINFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

MASSACHUSETTS

...BARNSTABLE COUNTY...
   MASHPEE               2.70   614 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   EAST FALMOUTH         2.52   700 AM  1/24  NONE
   WOODS HOLE            2.41   600 AM  1/24  CO-OP OBSERVER
   POCASSET              2.22   602 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   BREWSTER              2.06   603 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   WAQUOIT               2.05   605 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   NORTH TRURO           1.75   631 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   HYANNIS               1.70   628 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   CHATHAM               1.16   700 AM  1/24  CO-OP OBSERVER

...BRISTOL COUNTY...
   NORTH ACUSHNET        1.73   639 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   EAST FREETOWN         1.67   648 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   FAIRHAVEN             1.56   659 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   TAUNTON               1.45   700 AM  1/24  NWS OFFICE

...DUKES COUNTY...
   WEST TISBURY          2.60   637 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO
   EDGARTOWN             1.68   634 AM  1/24  HAM RADIO

...ESSEX COUNTY...
   IPSWICH               1.47   612 AM  1/24  TRAINED SPOTTER

...NORFOLK COUNTY...
   NORTH WEYMOUTH        3.50   721 AM  1/24  TRAINED SPOTTER
   NORWOOD               1.58   700 AM  1/24  NWS EMPLOYEE

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I actually expected it, but was hoping for a euro/gfs win with more snow. We were always progged to have less QPF so convert it to all 3:1 sleet and it's a meh 1-1.5" of salt. Looks like you guys in S-SE NH got into the stronger omega overnight. You basically had me beat with the OES alone though. 

Yeah I actually think most of what I have is from the OES stuff. It looked like this area was in a bit of a hole til I went to bed at like 11:30 and it doesn't look like I have much more accumulation now than I did at that point. It's hard to get an isothermal blue bomb with such a warm tongue at 750-800mb so a couple inches with a lot of sleet was always the safe non-weenie call. Hoping for a GFS coup was just a weenie dream. 

Just now, DomNH said:

ORH just does it time and time again. Never bet against an ORH jack.

I'm wondering if we got lucky with the combo of good lift and he easterly flow helping. It was snowing well into overnight. Was usually mixing with sleet but it still piles up a lot better than pure sleet. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I'm wondering if we got lucky with the combo of good lift and he easterly flow helping. It was snowing well into overnight. Was usually mixing with sleet but it still piles up a lot better than pure sleet. 

I thought the higher res models had a pretty good handle on the ORH Hills being a relative jackpot. I'm surprised BOX went as bearish as they did, given the way they tend to lean.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The GFS and NAM both pegged ORH for impressive lift so not surprising. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

All of our snow/sleet has blown off the trees etc.   glad yours stuck around

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think we're also getting mainly PL because of the low level cold wedge. Not because of the depth of it, but because we're generating ice crystals in it. It's hard to maintain supercooled water droplets if they are colliding with ice crystals on the way down.

So we could be starting as something that would be FZRA, but it collides with an ice crystals on the way down and flash freezes to PL.

Yes, Lt zr at the start, And PL ever since

Archived