Newest Member
    joxey
1.22.17-1.24.17 Noreaster / Coastal Storm

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

this radial whatever...freezing rain experiment their using to try to automate freezing rain is way off.

there's at-least 0.20 freezing rain so far up here.  It's been moderate to heavy freezing rain the last 3 hours.

The ASOS reports icing as planar and I believe we report it as radial. MPO is at 0.13 radial so far. Do you have an actual measurement or good estimate of how much ice is on trees?

5 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

large trees ARE falling out here.   went to take this pic, and heard very loud tree-breaking / falling sounds. (wasn't just branches)

its still VERY windy too.

have had moderate to heavy freezing rain for 4 hours....on top of frz rain / sleet / and snow that fell earlier

VLVrq2.jpg

Thanks for the report. Some trees coming down is obviously not good!

11 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Do you have an actual measurement or good estimate of how much ice is on trees?

I do not, but it's def worse than that out here... not walking out there, with these trees falling .  

The freezing drizzle / frz rain from this morning, made the sleet / snow stick to everything this afternoon, and now all this freezing rain on top.  

3 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

I do not, but it's def worse than that out here... not walking out there, with these trees falling .  

The freezing drizzle / frz rain from this morning, made the sleet / snow stick to everything this afternoon, and now all this freezing rain on top.  

Thanks for the follow-up. Stay safe!

Just got A Pretty good meas. of Fr.Rain acc.,  .2 Now have gone back to Sleet and received pretty close to an inch of of everything, otg...Looks to me like this storm is just hitting the coast off N.C. ...I'm just eyeballing by Sat. Images...Any help, is this so??? (I don't remember it being modeled down there at this time tonight)     

23 minutes ago, Pohopoco said:

Just got A Pretty good meas. of Fr.Rain acc.,  .2 Now have gone back to Sleet and received pretty close to an inch of of everything, otg...Looks to me like this storm is just hitting the coast off N.C. ...I'm just eyeballing by Sat. Images...Any help, is this so??? (I don't remember it being modeled down there at this time tonight)     

The surface low is currently located off VA Beach

Rain since midnight 0.20" rain yesterday 0.67" 3 day total 0.93"

MTD/YTD Rain now at 3.77" +0.80" above normal through today - good news

The bad news for snow lovers - MTD Snow at 4.8" (4.0" below normal for Jan through today) - Seasonal Snow is currently at 5.6" which is now an even 10.0" below normal through today!

i'm still kinda pissed I didn't pay more attention to 800mb.   It seemed to overperform all models (the warming in that small layer).   GFS was close, but it was wayyy off with QPF.

The forecast here was mostly for a sleet storm....and ended up being a frz rain event.  with some snow on top.    That i don't think anybody saw coming.     

GFS was more right on temperatures, and NAM was more right with QPF . 

Archived