Newest Member
    joxey
Big Noreaster Rain/wind/wet snow thread 1/22-1/23

Ji

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Nah, seriously this thing could be fun.  Just have to wait and see.  Pretty powerful system.

you of all people should pay the most attention. I remember a storm a long time ago that was heavy rain Leesburg but 6 inches in winchester

06Z GFS evolution would take away any slim hopes we would have of seeing snow. Runs the surface low right through our region. For any chance whatsoever we need to see that low run to our south and east keeping us in the northwest sector of the precip field. Even then with the base temps preceding the storm it is asking a lot to see snow, especially into the metros.

Here is probably what we need to see for this to have a chance to work. We need to see that low track to our south and then begin running up the coast. At that point we need the closed upper level low at 500's to capture and stack the surface low off the Del/Jersey coast, stalling it and even possibly pulling it it back to the west. Most of the ESP ensemble members that have shown snow over the last few runs have such a solution of a well timed capture with the few that retrograde the low westward  being fairly decent hits for portions of our region.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Here is probably what we need to see for this to have a chance to work. We need to see that low track to our south and then begin running up the coast. At that point we need the closed upper level low at 500's to capture and stack the surface low off the Del/Jersey coast, stalling it and even possibly pulling it it back to the west. Most of the ESP ensemble members that have shown snow over the last few runs have such a solution of a well timed capture with the few that retrograde the low westward  being fairly decent hits for portions of our region.

12Z CMC actually shows this capture scenario with it pulling the low back west. Looking at this snapshot you would think that north and west of the cities would be getting hammered as it pulled the 850 through the cities and south and east. Yet the total snowfall map shows a different story. Looking at the surface temps explains that with upper 30's to low 40's through the region. That being said I would think if this were to verify we would see some snow in the heavier rates to the north and west though it might not accumulate.

cmc_pr6_slp_t850_ma_15_75.png

cmc_snow_acc_ma_19_75.png

So many moving parts with this storm creating the definition of model chaos. I don't think we see model cohesion until later Saturday. 

-Parent Low

-Primary low

-phasing/capture

-Departing high pressure

-where does phase capture occur and how strong will determine dynamic cooling for our latitude. 

So much going on will bounce model track/strength around more than usual. Don't get excited and don't give up for those NW of the cities. 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I'd put the Ukie in the cmc camp...Looks closer to its track then gfs fwiw. Still almost 80 hours out so still some adjustments to be made.  Real interesting storm to track though.

I think it moved very much toward the GFS and Euro in its last run.

All three (u,g,e) have what to me looks like a progression for the low that I don't remember ever seeing.  The low seems to transfer from west Tenn to the upstate of South Carolina, head due north, then transfer again around our latitude.  Perhaps I'm not seeing it correctly, but that low popping up out of nowhere in the upstate of SC is strange.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived