Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Big Noreaster Rain/wind/wet snow thread 1/22-1/23

Ji

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke to everything recoated in snow.  At some point after 11 PM it snowed again.  I'd say less the 1/4" over night.

I will say this.  Yesterday was a really bad forecast here.  Not saying I could do better, because I can't, but really one of the worst I've seen in a while.  Forecast daytime high yesterday of 45 with no mention of sleet, snow, or a temp drop.  Reality, temps fell all day and were at 32 by about 4 PM.  An hour of sleet, and then about 1/2" of snow.  Forecast was changed to say that snow would change back to rain over night with a low of 37 (which was already higher than the current temp).  Reality, temp spiked to 34 during the evening but fell below freezing as everything was iced over this morning and the drizzle that was falling ended up changing back to snow over night.

I guess this is why we are all interested in weather.  If even the pros miss a forecast this bad, then it tells you just how complex that forecast was.  

It was a cool storm out here.  Driving rain, high wind, falling temps, sleet, heavy snow.  Not bad.  Had it been 5 degrees colder......oh boy.

14 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Woke to everything recoated in snow.  At some point after 11 PM it snowed again.  I'd say less the 1/4" over night.

I will say this.  Yesterday was a really bad forecast here.  Not saying I could do better, because I can't, but really one of the worst I've seen in a while.  Forecast daytime high yesterday of 45 with no mention of sleet, snow, or a temp drop.  Reality, temps fell all day and were at 32 by about 4 PM.  An hour of sleet, and then about 1/2" of snow.  Forecast was changed to say that snow would change back to rain over night with a low of 37 (which was already higher than the current temp).  Reality, temp spiked to 34 during the evening but fell below freezing as everything was iced over this morning and the drizzle that was falling ended up changing back to snow over night.

I guess this is why we are all interested in weather.  If even the pros miss a forecast this bad, then it tells you just how complex that forecast was.  

It was a cool storm out here.  Driving rain, high wind, falling temps, sleet, heavy snow.  Not bad.  Had it been 5 degrees colder......oh boy.

I had said earlier in the week with that track and a strong storm, in January  we would see at least some snow. Sometimes all of the models and science discussion take away from just knowing your own climo. 

And I agree. It was a fun wintry evening.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived