Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Big Noreaster Rain/wind/wet snow thread 1/22-1/23

Ji

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I have been quietly watching it trend the right direction all week.  Sometimes in a one step forward 1/2 step back kind of way but the general trend for a long time has been a slow improvement overall run after run.  Perhaps because it started off as such a bad look and because the trend better was so incremental it went unnoticed.  That said I still think its likely mostly rain, and in the cities would still be shocked in there was any accumulation, but it looks like places NW with some elevation could possibly back door their way to a measurable event.  Crap the 3k Nam gives me a foot of snow, not buying that at all but one can dream I guess.  

Much better look. Until recently the models were showing snow with the initial slug of moisture as the storm moved up the coast. Pretty much fool's gold because we were never going to see it. But now we see with the stall and it's drawing of the low back to the coast it has time to wrap around the moisture. In this setup we can see snow. I am now cautiously optimistic that we do see snow , maybe even into the cities, though I would take the snowfall maps with a grain of salt. In my mind cut those totals in a third or even 1/2 and that is probably a more realistic outcome. edit: this is all contingent on the NAM being right on the evolution of the low.

Right or wrong on the NAM, I have to admit that the High pressure north of NE has really been pressing down. It is pretty cold in Maine now while last night it was much warmer. And even the sounding out of Cape Cod this morning is cold as he!! considering where they were last night at 7PM. Darn shame we're running outta time again with this one.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Really hope this thing slows/stalls for a time right over DC Metro and we get soaked...would love this to be a colossal model bust on the side of a memorable event.

It would be the opposite of march 2013. That tuck and stall destroyed hopes and dreams. Hopefully the NAM is right this time. lol

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Right or wrong on the NAM, I have to admit that the High pressure north of NE has really been pressing down. It is pretty cold in Maine now while last night it was much warmer. And even the sounding out of Cape Cod this morning is cold as he!! considering where they were last night at 7PM. Darn shame we're running outta time again with this one.

perhaps this is the start of a "new normal" this year where everything doesn't go to crap for us

Just now, mitchnick said:

NAM, right or wrong with our area, puts the kibosh on NE too. Very 1/25/00'ish.

Only 2 days away from the anniversary! :weenie: 

Interesting to note is that Westminster is now down to 37 degrees and Thurmont (Camp David) is at 36.  Also there's a decent bit of lightning across Virginia.  Not something you see every day.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived