Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

57 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I agree... but there aren't any posters from NYC or Long Island really discussing anything  about it... I'm more concerned with possibility of frozen obviously hence my centered discussions, if someone would like to talk about the coastal impacts that's fine too

Agree 100% I see zero discussion about the upcoming impacts of wind/rain along the coast. My concern lies more with the possibility of some wintry weather for monday w/ some decent winds. The possibility of power outages up this way does exist

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, snywx said:

Agree 100% I see zero discussion about the upcoming impacts of wind/rain along the coast. My concern lies more with the possibility of some wintry weather for monday w/ some decent winds. The possibility of power outages up this way does exist

It's actually pretty dead in here... especially for this caliber type storm, all my sleet talk might be boring people though lol

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Still a tad warm for northern sections compared to Nam/RGEM but much colder than previous runs

historically, the NAM if it is right and gets cold air damming correct, it can be bad.

I have personally had numerous storms occur where the GFS informed rain and it was sleet per the NAM/ETA.

3 minutes ago, Animal said:

historically, the NAM if it is right and gets cold air damming correct, it can be bad.

I have personally had numerous storms occur where the GFS informed rain and it was sleet per the NAM/ETA.

Nam has outperformed Global's for my 2 biggest snowfalls this season, my 4.9" storm and the 6.7" storm... GFS/euro was a dusting to 2" ... Nam was called "just the nam" and ended up right twice... nams been outstanding this year imo

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Nam has outperformed Global's for my 2 biggest snowfalls this season, my 4.9" storm and the 6.7" storm... GFS/euro was a dusting to 2" ... Nam was called "just the nam" and ended up right twice... nams been outstanding this year imo

Yeah NAM is not a joke anymore - and its wet bias isn't as ridiculous as it once was 

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Just this past Wednesday, the NAM and some of the other lower scoring models like the GGEM had major snows in New England from ORH-AFN-CON on the order of 6-12". The real result was 1-2" mixed with rain and a mostly rotted precip shield. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the depth, and degree, of the warm layer matters. If it is significantly above freezing from 700-800mb plus near the surface, there may not be enough time for precipitation to refreeze into sleet. So then you end up with a sleet/rain mix with sleet occurring in only the heaviest of bands.

This is why this storm is not like March 2007 or VDay 2007. Those storms had a very cold column from 925mb to the surface, leaving ample time for refreezing of hydrometeors. In this storm, there is very marginal air from 925mb down so we may get rain or mixed precip that does not accumulate.

27 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Nam has outperformed Global's for my 2 biggest snowfalls this season, my 4.9" storm and the 6.7" storm... GFS/euro was a dusting... Nam was called "just the nam" and needed up right twice... nams been outstanding this year imo

The mesos get a bad rap when they're utilized in incorrect situations (ugh, social media). I like the NAM for this event too, & the RGEM as well. I expect the mesoscale models to perform better than the global models for this event due to the dynamics at play. The NAM has a knack for handling thermal profiles well as we get closer to the event. I'm starting to give creedance to the heavy sleet solutions being depicted. 

10 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

agreed,dont forget the rgem either..this thing is coming in colder for a lot of people,dynamic cooling should do the rest aloft if the se winds can shut off quicker. everyone keeps saying that there won't be any frozen precip along the coastal plain, but i'm not so sure that's NOT going to happen now. it's getting interesting little by little not to mention the high winds and beach erosion,which might be quite dangerous at it's max.

3 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

agreed,dont forget the rgem either..this thing is coming in colder for a lot of people,dynamic cooling should do the rest aloft if the se winds can shut off quicker. everyone keeps saying that there won't be any frozen precip along the coastal plain, but i'm not so sure that's NOT going to happen now. it's getting interesting little by little not to mention the high winds and beach erosion,which might be quite dangerous at it's max.

For the coastal plain, a little sleet mixed in with temps in the upper 30s is inconsequential

27 members checking out a storm of this magnitude? If this was cold enough throughout the column to snow you betcha there would be over 150 people in here and rising. Not judging, just noting, but it would seem to me weather isnt simply just snow even though I LOVE it. This storm has plenty of details to it that are a step short of amazing. The sustained winds, duration, the rex block and how it affects the storm path and in turn the P types. Come on folks, this is our hobby and one should be open to all that it has to offer!

1 minute ago, nyblizz44 said:

27 members checking out a storm of this magnitude? If this was cold enough throughout the column to snow you betcha there would be over 150 people in here and rising. Not judging, just noting, but it would seem to me weather isnt simply just snow even though I LOVE it. This storm has plenty of details to it that are a step short of amazing. The sustained winds, duration, the rex block and how it affects the storm path and in turn the P types. Come on folks, this is our hobby and one should be open to all that it has to offer!

i'm still here,although the prospects of wind,heavy cold rain and a all out raw day won't brighten up my mood.:lol:

19 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Just this past Wednesday, the NAM and some of the other lower scoring models like the GGEM had major snows in New England from ORH-AFN-CON on the order of 6-12". The real result was 1-2" mixed with rain and a mostly rotted precip shield. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the depth, and degree, of the warm layer matters. If it is significantly above freezing from 700-800mb plus near the surface, there may not be enough time for precipitation to refreeze into sleet. So then you end up with a sleet/rain mix with sleet occurring in only the heaviest of bands.

This is why this storm is not like March 2007 or VDay 2007. Those storms had a very cold column from 925mb to the surface, leaving ample time for refreezing of hydrometeors. In this storm, there is very marginal air from 925mb down so we may get rain or mixed precip that does not accumulate.

Just checked the NAM sounding for MGJ.. Warm layer is above 825mb during the height and @ hr 48 the warm layer is extremely shallow ( between 750-775) w/ temps just above 0c in this layer. This is a winter weather event up here plain and simple

btw- surface temps are 32-33 during this same period.

Just now, snywx said:

Just checked the sounding for MGJ.. Warm layer is above 825mb during the height and @ hr 48 the warm layer is extremely shallow ( between 750-775) w/ temps just above 0c in this layer. This is a winter weather event up here plain and simple

for you guys def,the 0z gfs is coming in south and colder b.t.w..

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

We had 2 mostly sleet events in 2007. The VD storm and then one in March with 5" of sleet. I believe to the north they were good snowstorms

Valentine's was the one that paralyzed 81 back in NEPA. SN-+IP-++SN followed by temps plummeting to the single digits basically left us with a huge block of snow/icepack.

20 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I would love if Forky could talk a little about the wind potential.  Any inversions to prevent some of the stronger winds from mixing down?  If so, can we mix down some of the winds below 900 mb?

I hope we don't see hours of 60-70 mph gusts, there will be some nasty power outages and tree damage on Long Island with that. 

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

Just checked the NAM sounding for MGJ.. Warm layer is above 825mb during the height and @ hr 48 the warm layer is extremely shallow ( between 750-775) w/ temps just above 0c in this layer. This is a winter weather event up here plain and simple

btw- surface temps are 32-33 during this same period.

Could you please do the sounding for KSWF?  It would be interesting too see.  Thanks. Even tho it is just to the east it could be much different.

2 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Valentine's was the one that paralyzed 81 back in NEPA. SN-+IP-++SN followed by temps plummeting to the single digits basically left us with a huge block of snow/icepack.

That was a nasty one in State College too, I think it was over a foot of gook that froze into a brick. That was another Lucy-pulls-the-football storm that had 20"+ on most models for the area to end up much more icy because of the mid level low tracks and primary that wouldn't die. 15 degrees and stinging sleet is never fun. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That was a nasty one in State College too, I think it was over a foot of gook that froze into a brick. That was another Lucy-pulls-the-football storm that had 20"+ on most models for the area to end up much more icy because of the mid level low tracks and primary that wouldn't die. 15 degrees and stinging sleet is never fun. 

Yeah, that would have been a record-breaker if it stayed snow. Still, in W-B, we wound up with over 12" to go with the sleet thanks to the CCB that swung back through as I recall.

The snowpack we got from that storm didn't fully melt until early Spring. 06-07 was a backend winter if there ever was one.

26 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I would love if Forky could talk a little about the wind potential.  Any inversions to prevent some of the stronger winds from mixing down?  If so, can we mix down some of the winds below 900 mb?

This. A lot of models showing the wind potential but would love to hear more from our top posters. 

37 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Agreed... Out of my area of knowledge here - But looking at some of the soundings, there is definitely stability below 850mb. That being said, the trowel signature seems to be pronounced, and the intensity of the precipitation could mix down some of those 850mb winds, but to what extent? So I'd also love to hear a meteorologist perspective on how they think what happens at the surface. 

Archived