Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/17-1/18 Paste Job/ Icy Mix obs

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes...to answer Ray's question, the mid-levels and precip shield being ugly didn't cause QPF to be lower, it caused the QPF to fall in an inefficient manner. Occasional bursts where it would snow and accumulate, and then lighter rates in between with cruddy snow growth. If we had good dendrites the whole time then we end up with 4-6" easy...but the disorganized nature of it caused some pretty inefficient snow production. Like I said before, if we had a colder profile, then the disorganized nature wouldn't have hurt as nearly as much. With 850 temps of -10C, if we had periods of lift lower in the atmosphere, then we still would have racked up decent snow....hell, today would probably be a nice snow globe with a cold profile with the onshore flow.

I didn't realize that places like ORH had that much water.  I see what you and Ray and Scott are saying.

Interesting that BOX put out a snowfall report map that looks very similar to what was modeled as far as areas getting the most, just the amounts were way lower

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My guess is you had some wind?

Like here at 1,500ft it was snow in the 20s, and no wind so there's 5" on every tree branch.  We had great snow growth though which tends to stack up better on branches haha.

Yup we had some wind.  About a 15" drift right outside the garage door.  I could hear the roar in the trees at time last evening too.

ORH 0.64"
PSM 0.57"
BOS 0.55"
FIT 0.51"
CON 0.48"
LWM 0.41"
BDL 0.36"
Mi Casa 0.35"
MHT 0.35"
AFN 0.34"
BAF 0.34"
PWM 0.31"
PVD 0.29"

Here's the liquid equiv so far. PWM is still pulling moderate snow so they're in progress. Kinda underwhelming, but there was a stripe of heavier liquid across southern Merrimack and northern Rockingham counties. I'm seeing a few 0.60"ish cocorahs obs in those areas. In my area, all obs were in the upper 0.30"s. So we did it with better ratios whereas the other area did it with more liquid equiv. A little SW of here had the best of both worlds and pulled off a 10-11:1 of 6-7" new snow (Weare/Danbury).

About 4.5" so far IMBY here in Scarborough, ME and still snowing in bursts pretty nicely.  Advisories extended to 6PM here.  Schools had a 2hr delay instead of cancelling and when I took my daughter to school, the roads were a real mess. I think perhaps they were counting on this being over and done by noon with the roads cleared better.

9 minutes ago, kmcfarland99 said:

About 4.5" so far IMBY here in Scarborough, ME and still snowing in bursts pretty nicely.  Advisories extended to 6PM here.  Schools had a 2hr delay instead of cancelling and when I took my daughter to school, the roads were a real mess. I think perhaps they were counting on this being over and done by noon with the roads cleared better.

Nice

7 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Getting a good burst of snow the last hour or so...coming down at a decent clip. Is this the "CJ" mentioned? (definition?)

Yup. It doesn't look as impressive on radar there, but you're a bit under the beam. I'd suggest urbandictionary for the def. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

My guess is you had some wind?

Like here at 1,500ft it was snow in the 20s, and no wind so there's 5" on every tree branch.  We had great snow growth though which tends to stack up better on branches haha.

Snow with temps upper teens here, but only 1.7" by 7 AM, with small flakes that didn't hang at all on hardwoods except in forks, and barely colored the evergreens.  Only 0.10" LE though we might've gotten a tiny bit more after I left for work.  Only about a half inch in Augusta by 8 AM, maybe 1/4" after that.  4th underperformer this month, with 1/1, 1/4, 1/10-11 having been progged for 2-4 or 3-5 and today's for 3-6.  Adding the 4 forecasts comes to 10-19" and I've gotten 5.2" from them, plus anything coming after 7 this morning.  Glad these were all little events, unlike December's overperformers, two 2-4/3-5 forecasts bringing 7" and 6", then 14-18 verifying at 21".  So I'm well ahead in the game, as the 1.7" puts the season total at 47.9", which is +12.7" compared to my average thru 1/18, and just 0.3" less than for all of 15-16.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Snow with temps upper teens here, but only 1.7" by 7 AM, with small flakes that didn't hang at all on hardwoods except in forks, and barely colored the evergreens.  Only 0.10" LE though we might've gotten a tiny bit more after I left for work.  Only about a half inch in Augusta by 8 AM, maybe 1/4" after that.  4th underperformer this month, with 1/1, 1/4, 1/10-11 having been progged for 2-4 or 3-5 and today's for 3-6.  Adding the 4 forecasts comes to 10-19" and I've gotten 5.2" from them, plus anything coming after 7 this morning.  Glad these were all little events, unlike December's overperformers, two 2-4/3-5 forecasts bringing 7" and 6", then 14-18 verifying at 21".  So I'm well ahead in the game, as the 1.7" puts the season total at 47.9", which is +12.7" compared to my average thru 1/18, and just 0.3" less than for all of 15-16.

Nice OES continues and a nice squall like feature approaching

WUNIDS_map (2).gif

just looking around at this now... 

is anyone else wondering about flashing this evening ...?  

current back-yard obs show upper 20s air pooled and poised near MHT-southern Maine, and with the weakly closed surface reflection pulling E now, this air mass may roll into N-NE mass soon and S thereafter - it would appear...

43 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Beautiful shots Powderfreak, Looks amazing up there. Looks like quite a bit on the ground up there too.

The ski resort up here has been a bit of an enigma locally for snowpack.  We did really well in one of those early December upslope events (like over 2" of QPF as snow in 3 days) and that set the natural snowpack down for good this season.  My stake at 1,500ft has been wandering between 15-20" for the last month (with 5.5" of liquid in it as of yesterday).

The Mansfield snowpack from 1,200ft on up is very solid.  Down in town though its been tough to get over 10" on the ground at any one point.  Right now I've got about 6" in the yard at 750ft compared with 20" at 1,500ft.  Its not necessarily an elevation thing as it is being close to the Spine where some of those earlier big orographic events laid down a solid base that never melted.

I'm definitely living in a different world than say the BTV or Champlain Valley crew.  My opinion is different on the winter because I spend most of my daytime waking hours in a place that hasn't had less than 15" on the ground since like the first week of December.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Congrats me.

Wintry appeal all day today with that OES. Closing in on 4.5" or so now.

Yes, turned into a nice day-long event here. Not bad for a mild spell. 

Early next week sounds messy and probably just ugly here on the coast, but we take it and appreciate it as it comes....

Archived