SnowHabit
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Good post Tip. 

I think the storm early next week--around hr 130-- def still bears watching considering the theme of the season to develop a secondary along the coast. 

A -NAO and an "early bloomer" over central plains certainly helps the case. I think we're seeing a very active pattern (chaos) causing chaos in the model solutions.

exactly ...there's that too.   What part of the history of using weather forecast models leads folks to believe changing the pattern is inherently leading to improved model performance - heh

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If tonight crushes 495 and rains here on the heels of the CJ, then we revert to December's nina garbage in the extended, I'm going to need a break from the board.

Ray, feelings are like treasures.

So bury them.

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

The earlier runs showing a day 8/9 miller B had a high pressure in Quebec. We lost that in the past few runs..and now it's just a torching cutter

thing is ... in terms of general concept, there is still a high N. 

it's just not as closely spaced to events traversing toward the NE from the SW as previous runs. 

that's still important, because it really appears that it is the handling the NAO in this case ...causing transitive issues everywhere.  NAO not handled right leads to configuration changes that lead to less or more timely confluence leading to critical changes in both high position and magnitude and timing and geography... It's all related..  The PNA part of this still appears well behaved. 

no one would argue that we are cold air challenged, ...that was part in parcel why the -NAO was necessitated..   remove that factor, big fart sound -

It's a dubious insert, Scott - sounds like ur trying to wind people up?    ...okay if so... I do that all the time. HA!

But if we "planned" the weekend/beyond period of time with no impact from a modulating NAO than fine - but I don't believe that was the case ...

Look folks, the operational runs backed off of NAO look - that's all that's happened there for that period of time.  If that verifies, that's the way it goes.  But no one "planned" to have the NAO impact the runs, than... magically stop impacting the runs ... across a wind-up moods, 24 hour f -fest   

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL, What the hell is it doing?  Day 7 has a low emerging off the NC/VA coast 996mb. 

it is uneasyingly comical.. 

You know what that looks like?  It looks like a -NAO with no cold air... in JANUARY!   

Nice - GW ftw ? 

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a dubious insert, Scott - sounds like ur trying to wind people up?    ...okay if so... I do that all the time. HA!

But if we "planned" the weekend/beyond period of time with no impact from a modulating NAO than fine - but I don't believe that was the case ...

Look folks, the operational runs backed off of NAO look - that's all that's happened there for that period of time.  If that verifies, that's the way it goes.  But no one "planned" to have the NAO impact the runs, than... magically stop impacting the runs ... across a wind-up moods, 24 hour f -fest   

I'm not doing anything. Just saying the hiatus from cold and snow (with the exception of tonight's thing) had been modeled well. 

15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Ah the St. Valentine's Day massacre as we call it at GYX. For whatever reason our forecasts just kept increasing and increasing, and I was helpless at home to stop it. :weep:

As for the snow depth that month, probably a lot to do with the wind. And wind is one of the two biggest factors in the perceived "settling" of snow. Wind obviously compacts the snow by shattering crystals. Temps (and RH) can actually alter the crystal structure and allow compaction that way. It was probably cold and dry enough during that stretch to sublimate some of the snow pack too.

The 2/2 storm was windy and we had some lesser wind with the VD bust, but beyond that, my recollection was cold, clear, calm wx.  Also dry - diurnal range averaged 26.6 with no major frontal rockets/plummets, so sublimation was certainly in play, though having the pack with a net decline 2/2 thru end of month remains an oddity.  Some of that decline was inevitable due to settling, as 1/30-2/2 saw two storms bring 16" of 15:1 snow, but we had storms of 4.7" and 5.5" (plus a number of under 2" events) later that month and still lost depth. 

Archived