Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

'88-'89 was the worst...we actually had some decent cold around for a while but just couldn't buy a storm...then the massive Feb 24-25 bust happened to top it off. At least in some of the early 90s years we were torched and had no chance anyway. We had the surprise 5-6" of wet snow on Mar 24-25, 1989 but that was it for anything notable...unless you count the 4" of sand we had in the Feb bust that sublimated in a week. 

88-89 we had at least 6 inches from a true inverted trough that crushed parts of long island with a foot, the finger of heavier snow came north into parts of central northern ct but it was not widespread (early Dec 1988 and it was very cold), I do remember a later March event with about 3 inches but little else and yes of course the infamous late Feb bust.

That bust in  Feb I remember seeing the heavy snow in s nj on the radar moving ne but not nne and all the while Dr. Mel insisting heavy snow would eventually develop as the dim sun through a high cloud deck grew stronger and stronger. Acy got like 18 inches and we never saw a flake. I remember being devastated but knowing deep down it was never gonna happen once seeing the radar that morning.

13 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LOL Tip

Worked out rather well ..don't you think!  hahaha. ..

I started a new thread and wanted folks to stop using this one ... I figured a gnarly non-sequitur would do the trick.   awesome ...

Not that I'm incapable of a whopper digression from time to time or course  -

11 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Well I saw there was a new model mayhem thread opened so I figured if this one went a bit OT, no biggie...I don't have a prostate but you all do. Best not to ignore it. 

OH ... sh -     I'm sorry to hear that.  When did you have your removed ?

J/k

13 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Well I saw there was a new model mayhem thread opened so I figured if this one went a bit OT, no biggie...I don't have a prostate but you all do. Best not to ignore it. 

Eh.....not every man alive will get prostate cancer.  I know many in their mid 90s who never had it.  That said, when you go through the scoping for any reason, you greatly appreciate what women have to endure in routine exams to monitor.

We've sorta drifted from our ancestral diets over the past couple hundred years. We evolved close to oceans and other bodies of water. Many have gotten away from seafood and sea veggies and wading in the briney ocean water. You see a lot of iodine, selenium, and magnesium deficiencies today as well as vitamin d3 from lack of sunlight. Lots of studies have shown the importance of iodine with the thyroid and selenium with the prostate. Oysters are high in selenium and zinc...there's probably a reason it's considered an aphrodisiac.

I don't feel like we've evolved over this long of a period to have organs that just fizzle out over a short amount of time. Like John said, if you live long enough you're going to eventually die of something like cancer or heart disease...but the key is to avoid those diseases through 80 to 90 y/o. There's a reason why Asians with traditional diets live long and avoid a lot of these cancers for a long time. Eat your seafood and seaweed people. Get a little controlled UV here and there and make sure you're getting enough Mg from foods. I won't even start about vegetarians and their risk for B12 deficiency either. 

46 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We've sorta drifted from our ancestral diets over the past couple hundred years. We evolved close to oceans and other bodies of water. Many have gotten away from seafood and sea veggies and wading in the briney ocean water. You see a lot of iodine, selenium, and magnesium deficiencies today as well as vitamin d3 from lack of sunlight. Lots of studies have shown the importance of iodine with the thyroid and selenium with the prostate. Oysters are high in selenium and zinc...there's probably a reason it's considered an aphrodisiac.

I don't feel like we've evolved over this long of a period to have organs that just fizzle out over a short amount of time. Like John said, if you live long enough you're going to eventually die of something like cancer or heart disease...but the key is to avoid those diseases through 80 to 90 y/o. There's a reason why Asians with traditional diets live long and avoid a lot of these cancers for a long time. Eat your seafood and seaweed people. Get a little controlled UV here and there and make sure you're getting enough Mg from foods. I won't even start about vegetarians and their risk for B12 deficiency either. 

All banter aside...this is spot on Brian - nice. ..

It reminds me of a concept that keeps reoccurring to me whenever this sort of subject matter arises in my midst; it's about not succumbing to the "Industrial Food Complex" ?

Like Eisenhower's warning, beware Industrial Military Complex, it's much in the same vein ... it's easy to get so swept away into a mode where 'macro-scale manipulation' is never questioned/put to test... But it's by design and (for lack of better word) is evil; and it's all for the perpetuation of "corporation."

War incorporated.  food incorporated.   Worth thinking about in my estimation - 

We get used to thinking in one mode and it's hard for people to imagine a reality outside that mode. In this case, the industrial food complex' machine of manipulations, from products that are made attractive working on ignorance, together with ease of acquisition of those product ... People easily become wholly dependent upon the complex.  But too many of those products are at least in part, if not entirely, created by unnatural evolution ... I mean, they are stored in plastic?  what part of that is "perfectly" sound? It took nature a billion years to evolve natural food sources, and the last I checked, plastic was not part of that equation. That's skin deep.  What is inside said food, at the molecular level?  

A lot of the complex' foods can be replete with vitamins and essential proteins - of course. Not all bad. However, they come with a plethora of vaguely indictable chemical spectrum that may be tested x-y-z on a few lab rats and deemed safe... Okay.  But "traditional diets" work better for a reason. And, you won't ever hear a Jim Sokolov advertising his law firm on TV over those who consumed a traditional diet in the 1990s.

To be fair, there are close to 3,000,000 mouths to feed in America, and many times that number in the other parts of the industrial world.  In order to fee all those souls, SOME sort of organized system needs(ed) to be created - I just see/think that the processes of doing so for profit over 100 years or more of decades has a toxicology that ... is probably as much kept under wraps as it is become suspect.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It's part of it but far from the whole thing.   A lot of luck is involved and the so called X factor.   To me, th most important attribute for longevity is being a positive happy person.   And I'm not sure that's anything other than luck.   My personal mantra is be happpy and don't acknowledge infirmity until you have to.

I'm 70 years old and have the attitude of keep on trucking.  Serves me well.  So many of my friends are like old men.   I just look like one but that's where it ends.   The joy of falling snow, of a beautiful day, of the wonderment of nature keeps me going.

When I shovel, it's not a chore.  I'm out in the snow-what could be better?  When I'm no longer working I'm canning the snow guy.  

49 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It's part of it but far from the whole thing.   A lot of luck is involved and the so called X factor.   To me, th most important attribute for longevity is being a positive happy person.   And I'm not sure that's anything other than luck.   My personal mantra is be happpy and don't acknowledge infirmity until you have to.

I'm 70 years old and have the attitude of keep on trucking.  Serves me well.  So many of my friends are like old men.   I just look like one but that's where it ends.   The joy of falling snow, of a beautiful day, of the wonderment of nature keeps me going.

When I shovel, it's not a chore.  I'm out in the snow-what could be better?  When I'm no longer working I'm canning the snow guy.  

GREAT ATTITUDE!!! I will be 54 in a few weeks, access and pains from working out side for the last 35 years or so, however, keep the body moving,diet etc.....God Bless

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

I'll agree with you. My dad will be 79 this year and is pretty active for his age. He snowblows himself, mows his huge lawn by pushmower, and is always challenging himself with projects and pushing his weakening muscles to their limits. He's too busy living to worry about dying. I had that bad period in 2015 (damn prednisone), but I try to emulate him. I try to cook and eat mostly whole foods now, but I don't stress about health anymore. I just eat well, sleep well, and stay active. I got chickens this year and they've been a blast albeit time consuming. The eggs are damn tasty too. I feel like it tapped into some latent homesteading instinct too that all of our ancestors even a few generations ago had to experience. 

IMG_5229.JPG

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'll agree with you. My dad will be 79 this year and is pretty active for his age. He snowblows himself, mows his huge lawn by pushmower, and is always challenging himself with projects and pushing his weakening muscles to their limits. He's too busy living to worry about dying. I had that bad period in 2015 (damn prednisone), but I try to emulate him. I try to cook and eat mostly whole foods now, but I don't stress about health anymore. I just eat well, sleep well, and stay active. I got chickens this year and they've been a blast albeit time consuming. The eggs are damn tasty too. I feel like it tapped into some latent homesteading instinct too that all of our ancestors even a few generations ago had to experience. 

IMG_5229.JPG

What a stunner Gladys is.  Hope Martha's recovery is coming along nicely.

9 hours ago, 512high said:

GREAT ATTITUDE!!! I will be 54 in a few weeks, access and pains from working out side for the last 35 years or so, however, keep the body moving,diet etc.....God Bless

I'm 36, and off to a pretty good start....btwn weight lifting, sports and meteorology, I'm engaged and active.

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

IMG_5229.JPG

good for you.  i think you have a great attitude.  the homesteading instinct you speak of is what has kept us up here.  our business takes us all over the world, and i love cities and could easily live in philly new york or london, but there is something deeply satisfying, sorry for the cliche, about being connected to the land, being outside, going for long walks in the woods, and eating food that you and your neighbors have grown or raised.  it is healthier too.  i balance it by being in those cities 50-75 nights a year and feel like i get theculture diversity and liveliness that i also need

Archived