Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a little sleet earlier but it was very brief. Eventually have had a slow changeover to a sleet/rain mix and then to just plain rain at this point. Radar is really blossoming. It's too bad we weren't a few degrees colder. This could have actually overperformed and we could have gotten a couple inches of snow with some decent icing, or something like that. Story of the winter! Sitting at 33 degrees and really been between 31 and 33 most of the day.

31.9F/31F, ZR here in Clarksburg.  Winds have gone dead calm in the last hour.  Icicles hanging off of everything are around 1" long and it looks like 0.1" accretion on limbs and cars.  Ground temps are still above freezing but ice has started to accrete on the grass in the last hour so the ground is about to go.

Usually I do pretty good with ZR...surprised to see reports of temps below freezing to my east and south.  Been stuck at 33.5 since noon or so.  Must have been the east wind we had here through most of the day.  I do sometimes get a little down sloping off S Mtn on an east wind.  Light icing on shrubs but basically a nonevent here. 

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Usually I do pretty good with ZR...surprised to see reports of temps below freezing to my east and south.  Been stuck at 33.5 since noon or so.  Must have been the east wind we had here through most of the day.  I do sometimes get a little down sloping off S Mtn on an east wind.  Light icing on shrubs but basically a nonevent here. 

Coincidentally, I seemed to also spend a lot of time today at 33.5 -- 33.3 now/more recently.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

34 and some spritzing.

Today f**king sucked.

Agreed. Wet, cold,  and dreary, though I guess some people got freezing/frozen precip out of this at least. Nothing but light rain and drizzle most of the day where I'm at...not even a single sleet pellet that I saw. The most interesting aspect is that I think the QPF amounts overperformed for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Agreed. Wet, cold,  and dreary, though I guess some people got freezing/frozen precip out of this at least. Nothing but light rain and drizzle most of the day where I'm at...not even a single sleet pellet that I saw. The most interesting aspect is that I think the QPF amounts overperformed for the most part. 

Makes sense to me.  The cold was a bit overdone so the precip was a bit north of forecast.  Maybe?

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Makes sense to me.  The cold was a bit overdone so the precip was a bit north of forecast.  Maybe?

The second wave did but that was never a snow threat.  There was only a few hour window of opportunity even on the better runs days ago. The first wave was weak and missed south mostly and by the time wave two came in the temps were a mess. Plus the models did run too cold which added insult to injury. That killed our chances. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived