Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

some light precip makes it up into MD later Saturday but by then we have lost the midlevels so its ice not snow.  Initial band of snow goes south of DC then the second wave comes in further north but as a mix.  

Let's see how many different ways we can fail this winter.

1 hour ago, Ji said:

obviously, this is the 500mb map that will likely give us our only so this winter.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=namer&pkg=z500a&runtime=2017011112&fh=78

That's excellent.  I bet the analogs are nearly 0.0" of snow +/- 3 days from that map.  This will be an interesting event if it unfolds.  Good job to PSU and Chill for sniffing out the potential for such an anomalous event from so far out.

Just now, osfan24 said:

Let's see how many different ways we can fail this winter.

Wish i could post the euro snowmap, the snowhole right over the middle of our area is funny.  Little band of 1-2" goes south of DC then a band of 1" runs right along the PA border with a gap with basically nothing from DCA to BWI.  

Just now, Bob Chill said:

No doubt. And I blame the intergalactal snow shield surrounding my yard. I'm like schleprock of snow. 

come north, friend. I've got plenty of yard space that you can pitch a tent, smoke some meat in our new smoker, beer store up the road. pool is a bit cold (and closed), but it's quiet! our dog won't bother you too much (the kid may though). 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Wish i could post the euro snowmap, the snowhole right over the middle of our area is funny.  Little band of 1-2" goes south of DC then a band of 1" runs right along the PA border with a gap with basically nothing from DCA to BWI.  

I'll quote my advisor from back in the late 80's, the great Dr. Don Miller; "when faced with a tough forecast, go with persistence".  Why should this storm be any different?

too soon to say anything definitive, 12z trended worse to me in every respect, weaker wave in general.  I would rather get something healthy to come out along the boundary.  48 hours of snizzle is kinda of annoying more then anything else IMO.  But we are way out for something like this where meso features will matter.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

too soon to say anything definitive, 12z trended worse to me in every respect, weaker wave in general.  I would rather get something healthy to come out along the boundary.  48 hours of snizzle is kinda of annoying more then anything else IMO.  But we are way out for something like this where meso features will matter.  

Great soup and book reading weather.. terrible weather hobbyist outcome!

41 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

12Z Saturday....whoda' thunk with this map

ecmwf_z500a_us_4.png

Newbie Question! I see these geopotential height and anomaly maps posted all the time, but i have no clue what the red vs blue mean, and the numbers.  I am assuming the red is warmer compared to the blue.....Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Since the front running batch is pretty narrow, we probably won't know exactly where until Friday. I would be surprised if most if not all of us don't get some form of winter wx out of this. The temp window is pretty long. Over 24 hours at the surface and trending longer each run. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Since the front running batch is pretty narrow, we probably won't know exactly where until Friday. I would be surprised if most if not all of us don't get some form of winter wx out of this. The temp window is pretty long. Over 24 hours at the surface and trending longer each run. 

I never thought I'd be back here so soon, but CAD trends can be the worst (best)! ;)

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

yea, there is still a lot to be decided, where that initial band sets up, how long the mid levels hang out, the euro even sags the boundary south again on Sunday enough that its close to snow up here for that batch that comes through Sunday evening.  But on the other hand if things stay as they look now, honestly I think I would rather have a nice sunny 50 degree weekend then 48 hours of off and on light mixed precipitation that amounts to a grand total of 1/2" of slop.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived