SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro shifted north. First stripe of precip between 6z-12z Sat still misses south but not by much. A 30-40 mile shift would hit most of us. 

Between 12z-0z is around .1-.2 mixed bag for everyone with surface below freezing. Overall it's pretty close to gfs/nam. 

Ukie came north similar to the euro.

yes. the early morning shift is always less upbeat to be at work.  Of course the 6z runs seem to be the hangover after the keg party where you wake up with a bad taste in your mouth laying on a basement couch with a dog named Wookie and some dude named Jim taking a leak but you distinctly remember the bathroom is upstairs.  Temps are a concern.   

EURO DCA: Surface temperature 31-32 through the daylight hours before rising into mid-30s Saturday night. 

The 18UT DCA sounding parallels the 0C line from 900 to 800 hPa.

So based on the text information with guesses in parentheses

~0.05" of precip (sleet/snow?) falls before 18 UT

~0.07" of precip (sleet/freezing rain) before 00 UT

~0.05" of precip (cold rain) after 00 UT. 

24 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

EURO DCA: Surface temperature 31-32 through the daylight hours before rising into mid-30s Saturday night. 

The 18UT DCA sounding parallels the 0C line from 900 to 800 hPa.

So based on the text information with guesses in parentheses

~0.05" of precip (sleet/snow?) falls before 18 UT

~0.07" of precip (sleet/freezing rain) before 00 UT

~0.05" of precip (cold rain) after 00 UT. 

that is practically no precip at all.  yeesh...I hope it turns out better than that...at least .2 total

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

twisterdata will take you to the nearest airport. pivotal weather i think actually produces them for the location you click. 

Twister does the same thing. I just click a point that is close to the desired location, then zoom in and drag the pointer the exact lat/lon and plot new sounding.

eta- I just checked it and you are right. I haven't used that site in a while. I thought it actually plotted the exact location, but anywhere I click near me seems to go to Dover.

15 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Twister does the same thing. I just click a point that is close to the desired location, then zoom in and drag the pointer the exact lat/lon and plot new sounding.

eta- I just checked it and you are right. I haven't used that site in a while. I thought it actually plotted the exact location, but anywhere I click near me seems to go to Dover.

Yeah, I've spent many frustrating nights trying to get twisterdata to give me a sounding for my location.  No go.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived