Newest Member
    Dano62
2017 Global Temperatures

blizzard1024

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BillT said:

there is NO way to measure a single temperature for the globe within the hundredths of a degree being claimed the margin of error has to be plus or minus a full degree

I understand there was a recent post on WUWT that tried to make that point. Below is the reason why that is not correct.

https://moyhu.blogspot.com/2017/10/averaging-and-error-propagation-random.html#comment-form

6 hours ago, chubbs said:

UAH continued the recent upward trend to 0.63 in October. The current spike is unusual, other UAH spikes tend to be single months or winter/spring in el nino.

UAH_LT_1979_thru_October_2017_v6-1-550x317.jpg

I don't know, Solar activity is in decline

cycles23_24.png

(There was a cluster of warm years in declining phase of last cycle: 2002-2007)

9 hours ago, chubbs said:

UAH continued the recent upward trend to 0.63 in October. The current spike is unusual, other UAH spikes tend to be single months or winter/spring in el nino.

UAH_LT_1979_thru_October_2017_v6-1-550x317.jpg

I don't even understand what's going on at this point. We aren't going into an El Nino. The oceans are about the same. Arctic ice is better than last year. Yet for some reason we are having extreme warming. Did we set off a trigger of some sort? Methane?

On 11/2/2017 at 11:12 PM, WidreMann said:

I don't even understand what's going on at this point. We aren't going into an El Nino. The oceans are about the same. Arctic ice is better than last year. Yet for some reason we are having extreme warming. Did we set off a trigger of some sort? Methane?

It is stratospheric water vapor, no doubt about it.

On 11/3/2017 at 7:44 AM, bluewave said:

Not much of a surprise considering how weak the La Nina response has been so far following the super El Nino. Remember, an El Nino tried to develop last spring which bumped temps back up following the weak La Nina drop last fall and winter. This may have been the 3rd warmest October behind 2015 and 2016.

October 2-meter temps were the 3rd highest globally since 1949 (2015, 2016). Top 18 warmest Octobers are the last 18 Octobers. #R1pic.twitter.com/h3a4go4Cbn

Fun fact time! My blog-brother Tom has spent a lot of time studying the historical record of ENSO. He discovered that if La Niña develops this year, it will be the only La Niña on record where the Niño3.4 sea surface anomaly increased for several months, nearing the El Niño threshold, before diving into La Niña territory.  Said another way, all the other 21 La Niña events followed a steady decline from warmer-than-average or followed consistently below-average sea surface temperatures. This year would follow cooler, then warmer, then cooler again sea surface conditions.

Yes enso is playing a role. Perhaps a continuing recovery from the hiatus also.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/11/el-nino-and-the-record-years-1998-and-2016/

gissninopeaks2.jpg

1 year ago, we were La Nina. In all El Nino cases, by 1 year later, the temperature had cooled. 

It was, however, a 19 month El Nino. Since 1948, 1958-1960 was 24 months, 1986-1988 was 19 months. This was the strongest of the 3 longest El Nino's. There was also unbelievable warming of North Pacific SSTs during the El Nino 18 months ago. 

10 hours ago, chubbs said:

RSS column water vapor spiked this fall led by the tropics. Further evidence that the current nina period is having a relatively small impact.  TPW should retreat now as nina heads for a mid-winter peak.

tpwrss.png

Could be lag effect from Nino-ish conditions in the first half of 2017? I guess we will see after a few months of this stout but weak La Nina.

NCAR daily analysis has shown temps dropping a good bit in November. Maybe the October bump was solar wind related. I still think we can eke out a cooler last 3 months of the year than last year, even if only by a little. So far, most months this year have been cooler than the equivalent month in 2016. Looks like October was the exception.

9 hours ago, wolfpackmet said:

GISS came in at +1.20° C.  Third warmest October on record, just a hair under October 2015.   NCAR/NCEP was once a great proxy with an anomaly just under May 2017.  Even with a down turn in the NCEP/NCAR dailies it's going to take a pretty "cool" December to not beat 2015.

Think you mean 0.90 for Oct. Here is a chart showing where 2017 could end up based on Jan to Oct.

giss2017.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived