Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 13-17 Winter Storm

Hoosier

14 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Was kind of surprised to see the eastern extent of that watch.   Central IL, IN and OH are all in about the same boat with forecasted temps and qpf.   Southwest into MO, different story and it looks like more precip so I can see the watch going up in that area.    

Unless models start upping precip amounts, I would bet freezing rain or wwa's will be the final headline call for most of central IL thru OH.

When this threat first started to show up several days ago on the models, I thought at that time the big question would be where the boundary sets up.   In actuality it looks like the big question is how much or how little precip is going to run the boundary.    Remember all those models showing a fire hose right along the boundary with inches of qpf?    Now it's tenths of an inch instead.   

Sounds like they're siding with the Euro. Has more colder air in place, and significantly more ice over a broader area. GFS has very little ice over Illinois. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, buckeye said:

heh,

and right on cue the 12z nam significantly ups the qpf across central, southern  IN/OH

Huge (yuuuge?) jump in QPF, near identical to the GFS. Keeps Saturday barely above freezing as well, unlike the moderate warmup some of the other models hinted at.

CMC, as always, is a bit excessive with the ice. I'd expect ILN to go with a FZA initially. Unless QPF keeps increasing, hard to see widespread ICW criteria.

Nam to me seems to be warming too fast esp given the strength of that high. Its simulated precip type fields are wonky. It is showing rain as the precip type in areas where it should be frz rain. It also pushes that first wave too north which doesn't make sense with the high where it is. And overall its expanse of precip seems rather anemic

Sunday evening/Monday morning could get a little interesting around here, especially if the warm up is delayed just a bit.  Not likely to melt this morning's ice off the trees/powerlines tomorrow and Saturday, especially with plenty of clouds expected. Sunday is the more questionable day as to whether it gets above freezing during the afternoon.  If it doesn't, then will have a head start.  Plus, Sunday/early Monday precip rates don't look that heavy at this point so it should be able to accrete pretty well until temps warm sufficiently.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

DVN issued a watch south of I-80 but mentioned it may have to be expanded.  

I saw that.  Sounds like this might be a repeat of December 11, 2007 for parts of Iowa, although I highly doubt I'll get a half inch of ice like I did on that day.  Never lost power from that, though.

One thing to keep in mind in northern IL/IN etc is that the timing of this is such that a good chunk of precip comes in at a time when there won't be much diurnal assistance to raise temps above freezing (Sun evening/Mon morning). It's going to be all or mostly WAA driven temperature rise then.  Speaking of which, there's plenty of WAA but the lack of a stronger surface low means that sfc winds aren't raging out of the S or SE, so the temperature rise to get comfortably above freezing may be a laborious process. 

Well once again we are closing in on a winter event in the Ohio area and have poor model agreement...Guess we should be used to that by now....Kinda leaning towards the drier Euro at this point.  I would not go full boar on the non-event it depicts here but I think the NAM/GFS could be too wet.  Interesting to note that the SREF plumes are also lower coming in around ~0.10" of QPF for frz rain at CVG.  I think that is a good compromise actually for the time being.  Will take that over 1/2"+ any day.

9 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

The National Weather Service in Indianapolis has issued a Freezing Rain Advisory for their entire County Warning Area. The advisory is in effect from 7:00 AM EST tomorrow through 1:00 PM EST Sunday.

Quite a detailed evening afd from them.

First look at the always reliable 84 hr NAM out to Monday morning.  This is colder than the GFS and more like what the previous runs of the Euro have been advertising with the freezing line.

Notice the fairly wide area that the model has teetering at 32-33 degrees.  Sharp temperature gradients are always a challenge to deal with but something like this would be as well.

sfct.us_mw.png

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

First look at the always reliable 84 hr NAM out to Monday morning.  This is colder than the GFS and more like what the previous runs of the Euro have been advertising with the freezing line.

Notice the fairly wide area that the model has teetering at 32-33 degrees.  Sharp temperature gradients are always a challenge to deal with but something like this would be as well.

sfct.us_mw.png

Yeah, it'd have the P-type start as heavy snow for some

Archived