Newest Member
    joxey
January 13-17 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

I made a long animated gif of the Euro p types but didn't want to upset Hoosier by posting that ;)

Let me guess, against the rules as it would violate licensing agreement?

EDIT: A standard license at http://www.ecmwf.int/ costs almost $15,000 per year!  That's $1233 per month!  No wonder why it's so expensive...

32 minutes ago, Natester said:

Let me guess, against the rules as it would violate licensing agreement?

EDIT: A standard license at http://www.ecmwf.int/ costs almost $15,000 per year!  That's $1233 per month!  No wonder why it's so expensive...

I know Maue at WX Bell has said that value added maps are somewhat exempt and can be posted.  He said that on Twitter when directly asked last week.

5 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

I know Maue at WX Bell has said that value added maps are somewhat exempt and can be posted.  He said that on Twitter when directly asked last week.

Thing is, what does value added mean? Have heard that before but no clear explanation.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Thing is, what does value added mean? Have heard that before but no clear explanation.

It could be in terms of marketing.

As more people get a taste of what his maps are like, that's potentially more people willing to sign up for a subscription.

Strange word to use though in that context. When I hear "value-added," I think profit-generating or productive.

Just something I was thinking about regarding GFS. A nw trend with the surface low later in the weekend has been noted. But looking at where the boundary/sharp baroclinic zone are, wouldn't it make more sense for this to track further east before cutting? Also the high at that time is in the Northeast. Idk if I'm making any sense. Maybe I'm partially wishcasting. Ha

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This sort of gives some perspective about what may be coming.  This is annual average number of hours with freezing rain... as in an entire year.

figure3.png

Some places could easily get pretty close to or exceed that with just this storm...

For areas farther north that are likely to miss out on most of the Fri/Sat action, the real question is how fast the shallow cold airmass modifies as the upper low begins to eject toward the region on Sun/Mon. Retreating high pressure and lack of significant snowcover over areas around the southern Lakes and southward doesn't help.  Looking at the model output for Sun/Mon, I notice that it tries to raise temps above freezing in areas even while low level easterly/northeasterly flow is ongoing. Sometimes I question whether the models are a little too quick to warm the surface above freezing with easterly/northeasterly low level flow, but it can happen, especially if the warm wedge aloft gets so deep and warm.  We'll just have to wait and see.

It's definitely going to be a nowcast event. Asking the models to pinpoint significant icing more than 24 hours out is like answering a woman when she ask's if her jeans make her look fat.  The general idea is there, but still even this far out, the specific answer could mean the difference between a terse eye or light's out for a few days :pimp:

Just now, Hoosier said:

A lot of time to trend back the other way. Model handling of upper lows ejecting out of the southwest isn't always stellar, but that makes you wonder if an even slower ejection occurs. 

Yeah my concern is the cold source moves right along now, which in of itself is surprising considering the magnitude of the high.

5 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

It's definitely going to be a nowcast event. Asking the models to pinpoint significant icing more than 24 hours out is like answering a woman when she ask's if her jeans make her look fat.  The general idea is there, but still even this far out, the specific answer could mean the difference between a terse eye or light's out for a few days :pimp:

:lol:

Archived