• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 13-17 Winter Storm

Hoosier

As we found out during the Dec. 16-17 "freezing drizzle" (followed by the deep freeze) that messed up central Illinois roads for several days afterwards (and my side streets near my apartment in Springfield never saw a salt truck until at least the following Monday, if at all), it doesn't take much of a glaze to mess up traffic.  Hopefully it doesn't end up as bad as expected, especially as far as power and tree damage is concerned.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tim from Springfield (IL) said:

As we found out during the Dec. 16-17 "freezing drizzle" (followed by the deep freeze) that messed up central Illinois roads for several days afterwards (and my side streets near my apartment in Springfield never saw a salt truck until at least the following Monday, if at all), it doesn't take much of a glaze to mess up traffic.  Hopefully it doesn't end up as bad as expected, especially as far as power and tree damage is concerned.

True that.

Biggest amounts/impacts with this will undoubtedly be out toward the Plains.

All of the models have gotten significantly wetter for the DVN area compared to the last several days.  Now deposits over an inch of precip, with some as high as 1.30" by early Tue.  Only expecting a tenth or two of glaze before we melt over to rain later tomorrow morning though.  Man, if temps would have stayed about 3 degrees colder through the event this would have been a terrible ice storm for this area.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

All of the models have gotten significantly wetter for the DVN area compared to the last several days.  Now deposits over an inch of precip, with some as high as 1.30" by early Tue.  Only expecting a tenth or two of glaze before we melt over to rain later tomorrow morning though.  Man, if temps would have stayed about 3 degrees colder through the event this would have been a terrible ice storm for this area.

Yes, it could have been pretty bad, but like all recent systems this one will bring a nice warm surge.  The ground is frozen, so an inch of rain should lead to some decent pooling in my yard.  A one-inch swath of qpf through the region in mid January would normally have the forum buzzing, but not this winter.

DSM isn't budging just yet on status of Precip type, although they've not yet released their aftn package. However temperatures did climb a few degrees higher than originally anticipated here so in my estimation that brings into question ptype and ice accums. It's currently 33-34 degrees, though it's possible that's just urban heat island effect that would be mixed down by colder air tens of feet above the city once precip and nightttime start.

Dewpoint is only 18 at ORD.  Even assuming it comes up some in the next several hours, that leaves a good amount of room to play with in terms of evaporative cooling to try to keep temps AOB freezing.

While it won't be a big storm for Chicago, I have a feeling that things may need to be beefed up some, especially outside the most urban core area.  

Dewpoint is only 18 at ORD.  Even assuming it comes up some in the next several hours, that leaves a good amount of room to play with in terms of evaporative cooling to try to keep temps AOB freezing.

While it won't be a big storm for Chicago, I have a feeling that things may need to be beefed up some, especially outside the most urban core area.  

Assuming saturation occurs in the areas not in the advisory, especially in the Chicago metro, then there's gonna be some frozen precip and IMO we should have an advisory out. Ice on roads is different than snow amounts to designate advisory counties. All it takes is a light glaze on roads to cause a significant travel hazard.

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Assuming saturation occurs in the areas not in the advisory, especially in the Chicago metro, then there's gonna be some frozen precip and IMO we should have an advisory out. Ice on roads is different than snow amounts to designate advisory counties. All it takes is a light glaze on roads to cause a significant travel hazard.

Helps a bit that it will be a lower volume commute tomorrow because of the holiday, but still striking at a bad time.

Still awaiting the first precip here.  Should see some sporadic bursts of light freezing rain in a few hours, but won't really amount to much.  Most guidance bumps us up to freezing by mid morning tomorrow, so we may not even see a tenth of glaze.  Looks like some steady heavier rains all afternoon tomorrow though, and maybe a little thunder tomorrow evening.  Easily the most significant precip event here since way back on Dec 4th.  1"+ of rain is looking pretty likely.

The big story here has been the fog, visibility 1/4 mile or less since 7AM this morning. Been awhile since we had a day like this. 

The "freezing rain advisory" ended being a bust, hardly had any glazing, very minimal Saturday morning, when it turned to all liquid 3 hours later. The 12/18/16 event with freezing mist and drizzle caused more disruption than this. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Madison is still at 32 degrees.  Decent returns in the area but don't know how much is accreting with that temp.

Most city streets are treated well enough so there is no ice,  but some of the side streets and sidewalks remain slick

Archived