Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1.7.17 Snow Event Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Animal said:

seems a bust imop. I thought your area would end up with around 10-12.

Bust???  Mt Holly called for 8-12 at shore and he has a couple hours left of probably the heaviest snow of the day.  They were sitting in some lower dbz for the past few hours.  Certainly can't call it a bust...

17 minutes ago, Bliz299 said:

4pm: S-, 5.7" on ground (1.4" added since 1pm), temp. 22F, DP 20F, RH 92%, wind N11G14mph, peak gust 32mph@2:21pm, bar. 30.15" unsteady.

I don't envy your job. How do you measure with this crazy wind?  Special weather statement out for a very heavy band coming through in next hour. Hope it tops us off. 

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 3:30 pm, we're at 4.25" so 3/4" in the last 30 minutes, as it's been snowing quite heavily.  Looks like 5" is easily in reach, given the bands to our SW, and maybe 6" if we get lucky - looks like the NWS may end up being right about adding Middlesex to the warning area, after all. 

As of 5 pm, we hit 5.0", as that last band did backbuild to the west just enough to get us that last 1/4".  Looking at the radar, I doubt we get more than another 1/4" unless some stray short bands/squalls hit us, which is unlikely.  Areas in eastern half of Monmouth and Ocean and from NYC eastward can still get another inch or so, but I think it'll be over everywhere in NJ by 7 pm. 

Given that I'm seeing lots of 5-6" amounts in Middlesex County on AmericanWx, I'd say the NWS did well to go with the warning for 6" of snow (and I doubted them when they issued it around noon).  Just came in from a walk and my 2nd "shovel" with a push broom - nice easy stuff to push around.

Levittown PA finished with 5.5". Flyers win and a busted forecast in a good direction. Today was a good day! Still very light snow but accumulating snow appears to be over. Sad I missed the deform band here but I'll take the flyers W. From coating to an inch 24 hours out to receiving almost 6 inches today. Glad it worked out here, seems that even just 5 miles west of here got almost half of our total. 8 inches of snow this week! 

13 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Levittown PA finished with 5.5". Flyers win and a busted forecast in a good direction. Today was a good day! Still very light snow but accumulating snow appears to be over. Sad I missed the deform band here but I'll take the flyers W. From coating to an inch 24 hours out to receiving almost 6 inches today. Glad it worked out here, seems that even just 5 miles west of here got almost half of our total. 8 inches of snow this week! 

Was thinking of you when I heard the final score and saw you were going to the game,  Good luck charm!

There was someone near me using a leaf blower to blow the snow off the pavement about an hour ago. :lol:

45 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 5 pm, we hit 5.0", as that last band did backbuild to the west just enough to get us that last 1/4".  Looking at the radar, I doubt we get more than another 1/4" unless some stray short bands/squalls hit us, which is unlikely.  Areas in eastern half of Monmouth and Ocean and from NYC eastward can still get another inch or so, but I think it'll be over everywhere in NJ by 7 pm. 

Given that I'm seeing lots of 5-6" amounts in Middlesex County on AmericanWx, I'd say the NWS did well to go with the warning for 6" of snow (and I doubted them when they issued it around noon).  Just came in from a walk and my 2nd "shovel" with a push broom - nice easy stuff to push around.

Well, we did get that last 1/4" over the last hour and it's snowing really lightly now and just about done I'd say. I'm calling it over at 5.25".  Have seen reports of 6" or so in Edison and Woodbridge, so I'm certainly not in any jackpot this time, lol (had 2.75" Friday morning, which looked like the most in at least Central Jersey).  Great storm - huge overperformer relative to what looked to be coming a few days ago and even yesterday.   

Here in NW Chesco with today's 4th winter event of the young winter season (see Sig Line for details). With our 1.5" of snow today. We recorded our 3rd straight day with at least 1.0" of snow for the first time since February 2014. In 2014 we received 18.0" on Feb 13th / 1.5" on Feb 14th and 2.3" on Feb 15th. With the 4.8" of snow that we have received over the last 3 days (which is all we have for January) - this is 2x the normal January snowfall to date. However on a season to date basis we are only at 61% of normal snow to date with just 5.6" of snow. Normal through today here in NW Chester County is 9.1" I need to move to the snow capital of NJ - Mount Holly where Tony Gigi (retired NWS legend)....and my sister live!

2 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

That Monmouth County hot streak continues. You beat us down here by 2". Now yesterday who would have guessed. 

That's all you got down there???!!! Wow! Damn sorry man. Yeah just last night you were looking like the jackpot for NJ! And even earlier today when I was reading how parts of Delaware already had 7 inches on the ground, I thought for sure you would cash in down there!

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Hard to figure out which model had the right idea. Ukmet and ECM ended up doing OK  near Philly while the GFS played catch up. Here on the fringe the GFS nailed it unfortunately.

As always, each model has its mastery. Euro gets the overall trac and intensity right, gfs got the duration right, ukie handled the qpf pretty well, cmc gave good confirmation to the Euro.... of course theres always the nam which i guess you could say sniff'd the NW trend out and gave credibility to this threat when no other model was insane enough to do. I seriously think all the researchers at the NOAA have a conspiracy to keep this bogus tool around just to watch us weenies squirm. 

Archived