Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 7th/8th snowstorm obs/nowcast

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice drifting there.

i had to meet people in Cambridge for lunch yesterday near Central Square.  I'd say they have about half the snow I have.  Then I watched the game at my friends in Coolidge corner area-maybe 2/3 what I have.  Once you're on the other side of route 9 depth increases west of the Brookline reservoir.

I'm in Brooklyn, CT and the most I could find was a hair over 8".  I had the pleasure of driving from the Middletown area back to Brooklyn around 6pm on Saturday evening.  Still didn't hold a candle to driving from Scituate, MA to Hyannis during the 2/8/13 blizzard, though.

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I was thinking that same thing after i made that layer lol! For a second there, I was debating changing it to make it more sharp and less noticeable, but then i said screw it.

I had 6" here in case you want to add. That 4" total in Vernon is low. I have several friends there who measured 6"

We were discussing some of the issues with this system at work today. Especially on the NW side of the strongest banding we had saturation issues because we didn't have well develop conveyor belts (no mid level H7 low). But we also have the subsidence caused by strong f-gen itself. The f-gen does force strong lift on the warm side, but there is an opposite reaction of sinking air on the cold side. Now if you have deep saturation you can overcome this somewhat. But considering we were advecting dry air from the N, we lacked that deep saturation. So our lift was very high in the atmosphere, with subsidence below that. That eats at snow totals, giving us the northern gradient. Again, you can overcome some subsidence, but not 10,000 feet of it, like we saw in parts of MA, NH, and ME.

Xsct.jpeg.png

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

We were discussing some of the issues with this system at work today. Especially on the NW side of the strongest banding we had saturation issues because we didn't have well develop conveyor belts (no mid level H7 low). But we also have the subsidence caused by strong f-gen itself. The f-gen does force strong lift on the warm side, but there is an opposite reaction of sinking air on the cold side. Now if you have deep saturation you can overcome this somewhat. But considering we were advecting dry air from the N, we lacked that deep saturation. So our lift was very high in the atmosphere, with subsidence below that. That eats at snow totals, giving us the northern gradient. Again, you can overcome some subsidence, but not 10,000 feet of it, like we saw in parts of MA, NH, and ME.

Xsct.jpeg.png

Good post.  That definitely hurt us in NCT as well.  The gradient was more latitudinal than many of the maps and models were projecting with that dry air just killing the radar returns its like they were just hitting a brick wall. 

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had 6" here in case you want to add. That 4" total in Vernon is low. I have several friends there who measured 6"

9 hours ago, JC-CT said:

you can add mine too, 7.5 in columbia

Updated to add almost 30 more reports and corrected a few towns, also fixed the flacid dong layer. Text image now in descending order from highest to lowest. 01.07.17_snow_totals_update.jpg01.07.17_snow_totals_table.JPG

Archived