Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 7th/8th snowstorm obs/nowcast

TauntonBlizzard2013

13 minutes ago, sunny&pleasant said:

you must live in a nice protected spot for the wind not to move that around. impossible to tell what i have OTG here in portsmouth but i have some 3'+ drifts

Yes, my tiny backyard has 20 foot dense trees on 2 sides and my home and garage forming a square of no wind.  I bet east main road has major drifts!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, by this morning I started calling for reduced #'s in RT 2 corridor from KFIT and West. 

It may not be sound meterology but experience told me that when it was 8/3 at 7am here the dry air would win and the precip cuttoff would be drastic.

.5"-75" here, I imagine MPM might have gotten 1-2" max?   I'm sure he will let us know. 

Cold too, 16/12 currently with flurries.  I knew I was cooked but I thought Codfish and Ctvalleysnow, Radarman, Sugarloaf etc would have done better. 

I just got home.-- 1.2.  

These events suck.  Someone line up someswfe's.s

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be over a foot. Just some light stuff. I think my mention of the jack between here and Plymouth down to Bridgewater area will work out. Yesterday I was thinking 5-8 for Boston. I did think central CT, central MA, to ray and adjacent NH would do better. I didn't have numbers out there but I probably would have been too high with the end ranges for sure. I think those issues with the soundings I pointed out this morning (weird sub zones, sinking air near 700 at times, some backing of winds with height instead of veering) maybe have played a role. In the end, the lift also didn't happen  like Ithought. I found it interesting that if you ripped and read the VVs in the mid levels, it would have screamed an ACK band. But the 700 deformation and frontogenesis IMO looked better where those bands ended setting up and that's what we had. Once again the QPF sucked in the bullseye zone and lower level WAA was given too much weight by models. It also seems like 12z GFS puked on itself in CT with half inch QPF+.

Great post. You have a representative sounding saved from earlier (or if you recall which model / time, I'll find it) demonstrating these issues? No worries if not it's been a long day!

The "midlevel magic" was thoroughly discussed and anticipated, but it seemed to underperform in central / northeastern MA and I was wondering why.

Archived