Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

3 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

Watched all week, was very consistent between almost all models.  Mets were too scared to touch it though for fear of being wrong.  They would have been right though.  Bust city.

They weren't scared to touch it.  ILM doesn't ignore model consistency.  Their discussions from the last few days go into detail about what models were showing for the coast.  The  MYR-ILM region will prove to verify almost perfectly for this event.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hugo said:

They weren't scared to touch it.  ILM doesn't ignore model consistency.  Their discussions from the last few days go into detail about what models were showing for the coast.  The  MYR-ILM region will prove to verify almost perfectly for this event.  

Yeah I'm speaking on consistency up until yesterday.  Once we were inside 48 hours they started creeping away from 3 inches to 1 inch to nothing.  But with a week + of models saying snow almost every run, busttttt.  

1 hour ago, oconeexman said:

Ended up with 3" a lot has melted. County wise was 3-5" about what we expected

nice!  had about 2.5 here - the 5" mark was about 10 miles up the road.  still within the margin of what i was expecting (not hoping obviously lol).  until the end when the amounts went up, most of the forecasts leading up to the storm for mby were 2-4" so we fell right in there. 

some melting in the sun on the streets, but shady areas still icy.  its going to be a cold night for a lot us :)

1 minute ago, blueheels2 said:

Is this Gaston NC?  How much snow did you get there if so?

Yep; my exact location is the area down toward where Black's BBQ is and then you've got Mark's Garage and Randy's Auto Care near each other beside 321.  Ended up close to 4".  Would've been more were it not for the sleet that kept interfering and less had I not kicked back to all snow close to 5 or 6 this morning until it finally quit around 11:30.

1 minute ago, metalicwx366 said:

Congrats guys! Haven't been on here much recently. Didn't really get to follow this event. 

So much to read through, so I will just ask. How much snow did Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Birmingham, Greenville pick up?

Atlanta picked up only a trace of snow. It was mostly an ice storm for us... Quite a bust  :axe:

1 hour ago, griteater said:

6.5 inches of mostly snow, but some sleet on the snow board.

So glad to see you cashed in after all the time and effort you put in with model analysis and pbp this week.  I enjoyed your videos of the wind-blown snow.  Reminded me of the '79 President's Day weekend snowstorm.

Mostly freezing rain with a coating of snow at my location in SE Charlotte.

Great photos everyone!  

2 hours ago, griteater said:

Looks great shaggy!

Visible satellite image showing snow/sleet on the ground from N GA into W NC

2rogshc.gif

What's pretty incredible  here in hall county is the snow accumulated on the west side of lake Lanier but nothing on the east side. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived