Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Very little here in Cary--huge bust.  Oh, I've known and always believed in the NW trend, just really threw me a curve ball on this one shifting from 50 miles SE of my position to 50 miles NW of me in last 36hrs.

Agreed. Sorry it was such a bust down your way. I'll quit complaining about 1.5" of sleet up here in Wake Forest. 

Ended with about 3" snow and what looks like .1 coating of ice (hard to measure that though).  The sun is out.  We are also already experiencing melting, despite it being 18, thanks to that sun.

I wish the 4+ hours of rain/sleet had been snow, too; this would have been epic, if so.

Watching WSB tv atm and they are interviewing people up in Gordon County a bit north of here who are stuck in their vehicles.  "I don't know what I'm going to do".  Why do people do this to themselves?

58 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

My official unofficial truck bed cover measurement was right at 2".  I bet you and I missed the 4"+ totals by 5 miles or so, if not less.  I can go 15-20 min up Hwy 27 or 16 and be in 6"+ territory.  Currently back in a fine snow/graupel mix with some bigger flakes mixing down.

Not rubbing salt in the wound(lord knows I've been in your spot) but we've got about 8 here. Sorry it busted. 

1 minute ago, CherokeeGA said:

Ended with about 3" snow and what looks like .1 coating of ice (hard to measure that though).  The sun is out.

I wish the 4+ hours of rain/sleet had been snow, too; this would have been epic, if so.

Watching WSB tv atm and they are interviewing people up in Gordon County a bit north of here who are stuck in their vehicles.  "I don't know what I'm going to do".  Why do people do this to themselves?

Got about 2" snow in SE cherokee.  Currently at 20 degrees.  

I was desperately hoping we would transition back to snow before the storm let up.  Oh well.  We no doubt fared better than our neighbors to the south, and for that I am thankful. 

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Frosty NW trend FTW!

Yes Sir,Thank you..... I'm Thankful for the snow.. I wish everybody could've got in on a good snow!!  JB called this NW shift and nobody on here wouldn't take him serious. Said He sucked. Of course He's not right all the time, I know that. But neither is all them that bash him.. They blew their forecast big time with this one. I just can't understand the hatred toward him? I know 99% of his clients are in the NE so I would expect him to cater to them..... How much did you get?  I hate it for the people that didn't get what was forecasted for them....

28F, light glaze of ice and thin coating of sleet on top of it here in Linden (north side of Fayetteville, NC).  Saw a few flakes earlier and a few flying now but not much at the moment.  I am hoping for at least a thin coating of snow before things pull out for good.

6 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Not rubbing salt in the wound(lord knows I've been in your spot) but we've got about 8 here. Sorry it busted. 

It's all good!  My buddy off Gilead just south of Birkdale says he's looking at 2-3" which surprised me.  I thought for sure he'd at least be at 4".  Hard to say but taking sleet compaction into account I'm going to say we had about 2.5" total of frozen.  At about 2.25" now by my unofficial measurement.

1 minute ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Looks like about 3 in my part of Easley. QPF was there for this one, just needed better temp profile. Had great rates for hours but surface was 33 and kept mixing. With this morning's temp profile I bet I would have gotten 10 inches.

yes, have 3-4 inches here (LOTS of sleet overnight until about 10/11 then all snow) - currently 27.5 - sun is peeking thru now with snow flurries - I'm out until the next event

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived