• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3

Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

GSP update, sounds like it was written by Shetley for my area! May never see snow until wraparound flurries show up! Woke up with a 4-8" expectations and end up with flurries and 4 sleet pellets

Good thing I live north of I-85. ;) 

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

GSP update, sounds like it was written by Shetley for my area! May never see snow until wraparound flurries show up! Woke up with a 4-8" expectations and end up with flurries and 4 sleet pellets

That's what she said.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm right on the rain/snow line here in Simpsonville. It's either going to be the big wet sand dollar flakes, or cold rain.. I did this to myself :weep:

Sadly, go with the latter, that's reality, unless you live on the Five-forks part of Simpsonville, then you might be good

925 temps look good for Mecklenburg but 850's have increased over the past hour or two ever so slightly.  Not to mention surface temps holding around 34.  QC and Wow look to be in the catbird seat when the main show starts, and they already have a dusting waiting for it as opposed to wet ground 20 miles south of them. 

1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

925 temps look good for Mecklenburg but 850's have increased over the past hour or two ever so slightly.  QC and Wow look to be in the catbird seat when the main show starts, and they already have a dusting waiting for it as opposed to wet ground 20 miles south of them. 

I hope so. Just noticed the airport is down to 32 with sleet.

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

36F and pouring rain in Apex.   Umbrellas needed.  

I tell you what if/when we dip below freezing in a few hours theres gonna be some nasty ice underneath of accumulations

1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

925 temps look good for Mecklenburg but 850's have increased over the past hour or two ever so slightly.  QC and Wow look to be in the catbird seat when the main show starts, and they already have a dusting waiting for it as opposed to wet ground 20 miles south of them. 

which is where i am.  Sadly i've gone from being in the catbirds seat to being in the rainbirds seat....with just a 20 mile movement.  Two times in 3 years i've missed out on 6+ inch snows by 20 miles.  Sucks

58 minutes ago, Lookout said:

You know it might help if you actually paid attention because if you did you would know most areas were not supposed to changeover until night..so this rant is pretty lame. And ..calling a storm a bust when it's barely even started is equally stupid...because there is a lot yet to come.

I am equally stupid then.  The locals called for heaviest snow between 6pm and 9pm.  It is almost 8, not a rain drop or snowflake, or sleet pellet. Everytime this winter stuff comes, I look at radar and am perplexed because what shows is not happening here, despite the gloom and doom of the local meteorologists. My question was about reliance on modern models. I do not watch this stuff every hour like you guys,  but when a look at radar shows half of the storm passed and we still do not have a flake, I guess us ignorant folk tend to let common sense prevail and cloud our thinking. So sorry to have offended you professional weather folks.  I won't be back so no worries.

We are down to 33 degrees in Buford, GA, but no snow yet. This is so frustrating. I have friends 8 miles to my west in Sugar Hill and they have had snow for the past hour. That cold air hasn't made its way east to 85 yet. Hopefully in the next hour we will see some flakes. 

4 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

I tell you what if/when we dip below freezing in a few hours theres gonna be some nasty ice underneath of accumulations

Hang in there its coming.  33/25 in Moncure, 25 miles s of you.