Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rawlee said:

Saw that too, was quickly deleted once flakes started flying. They had a rough go on this one.

Ah, interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't want that job. It seems like being a meteorologist is tough enough, but being one who is expected to pull in TV ratings and social media clicks AND take the brunt of people's winter heartbreak rage, while relying on extremely wobbly models?

No thanks, I'll stick to fixing computers. 

Edit: Getting some slightly heavier wind bursts now. Blowing snow off the roofs. 

Edit2: See @kc4wsd mentioned wind gusts in Greensboro. Hopefully we keep power. Lost it for a few days with Matthew. 

15 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

After being consistently shown at least 1-3 inches on almost every model all week long, Myrtle beach busted hard.  Absolutely nothing.  

Same as me, 32.5 & rain..  Southeast NC; a few flakes of snow every now & then looks like "Maybe" a band coming through on Radar..  We just have gotten to 30.8 the last hour.

6 minutes ago, thess said:

Still coming down lightly. It looks like maybe 5-6" on nearby building roofs and flat surfaces. 

So weird--I woke up around 8:30 to a bit of accumulation, and Elizabeth Gardener saying any more precip was unlikely for WRAL's viewing area. I was bummed because when I'd gone to sleep, it looked like we were just getting started. So I made some tea, then looked out the window again--and it proceeded to snow here for the next four hours, light to moderate amounts with no break.

So I guess that's another one for the 'what have we learned' list--don't run the post-mortem until the patient is actually dead.

I have a feeling WRAL made that "it's all over" call early this morning to try to temper expectations as people in Raleigh and Cary woke up to nothing.

Same thing here. I did have a lot of sleet accumulation but this additional snow has made this event. I guess you can say the forecast busted again.

Last flakes have fallen. Been out playing with the dogs. Measured several places. Looks like 8.5" here. Snowed for over 12 straight hours with no mixing, something we rarely see. Stayed up all night last night to watch. Time for some football now and maybe a nap :)

1 hour ago, TriadDeac said:

High Point

Heavy burst of snow, some of the heaviest yet

9 1/2"

24 degrees 

What a storm!

Well, at least HP didn't break a foot (for my sanity, LOL), so at least I didn't miss out on a foot by one year of moving, but that's still more than I ever saw there since 2000 or 2002, when I was young (beats Fab Feb '14 by an inch or so)!  Fantastic storm, I bet, and it is always nice when it's all-snow, which is a rarity (one thing I loved about the February 2015 six-inches).

40 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

25 Sunny with blowing snow!!  Ended up with 9 inches

Some how some way you always make it. Happy to see. If anyone over performed it was definetly you. Lot models showed less than a inch even 24 to 36 hrs out for you, wit the exception of the ukie and that German model. Everytime we see a threat coming I always use ukie but will certainly be looking at that german model as well. Ukie did great with surface placements and h5. Stellar performance. Glad the guys down east got some. Takes fun away when folks get screwed.

Have no idea what I ended up with. The wind and sleet would make that impossible. Had to be on plus side of 6. Today I have to go take down the tent/tarp that collapsed on my back deck. This was a beatiful storm and made my winter. Very satisfied with how it turned out imby.

Last night under a 35 to 40 dbz was the hardest I've seen it snow since Feb 2004. Only lasted about 20 to 30 mins then sleet mixed back in afterwards. Maybe we can luck up one more time this winter and catch a ULL like Feb 28, 2004. Pattern is gonna start to transition late winter into spring, summer into something else now that pacific has or is becoming neutral.

This storm is evidence of how you luck up without a good pattern. Totally amazing to time this wave right behind a artic front. 

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Some how some way you always make it. Happy to see. If anyone over performed it was definetly you. Lot models showed less than a inch even 24 to 36 hrs out for you, wit the exception of the ukie and that German model. Everytime we see a threat coming I always use ukie but will certainly be looking at that german model as well. Ukie did great with surface placements and h5. Stellar performance. Glad the guys down east got some. Takes fun away when folks get screwed.

Have no idea what I ended up with. The wind and sleet would make that impossible. Had to be on plus side of 6. Today I have to go take down the tent/tarp that collapsed on my back deck. This was a beatiful storm and made my winter. Very satisfied with how it turned out imby.

Last night under a 35 to 40 dbz was the hardest I've seen it snow since Feb 2004. Only lasted about 20 to 30 mins then sleet mixed back in afterwards. Maybe we can luck up one more time this winter and catch a ULL like Feb 28, 2004. Pattern is gonna start to transition late winter into spring, summer into something else now that pacific has or is becoming neutral.

This storm is evidence of how you luck up without a good pattern. Totally amazing to time this wave right behind a artic front. 

Yes I did luck out. And you're right hardly ever do we get a wave behind a artic front!!! I think we'll have at least one or two more winter storms before spring..... This has been a fun one to track...... German Model kept me interested for sure........... 

Never have I seen the infamous I-85 snow line be so defined. It's usually like a joke, but not this time. You can literally draw the snow line with the interstate...wish I knew how to overlay.

image.png

Neat map.

I will add the caveat that in the Western Upstate, it did not follow 85. I'm 7 miles north of 85 and got 1 inch of sleet/snow. Related to the Lookout, USRV thermal screw zone.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pretty much everywhere in the Charleston area has seen some sort of flurries or sleet except for my backyard. Go a mile or two west and there are flurries on James Island. But nothing in my neighborhood. But nice tease at the end. This wasn't predicted by any of the local meteorologists.

Down to 27 now, heavy snow band is about to hit me, probably about 2-3 more hours of pretty heavy snow and we're done. There are 5-6" on the ground but it's hard to tell accurately because of strong wind. 50 mph gusts in the far NE parts of Va Beach

I would like to say thank you to those who most often post on this site.  i've been a lurker/member here for a few years now. i'm east of Charlotte and didn't get the big snow, but i did get the amount of precip, just got the warm nose again. 

i love this site.  i appreciate all that you do here and love seeing the data.  we are trying to predict mother nature and there are always curve balls.  and heck, we live in the South  i always hope for a big snow, am usually disappointed but sometimes we get lucky.  i still love getting excited by just the possibility.  when it was snowing here this morning i put a nice chair in the window and watched it fall.  my puppies got to experience winter weather for the first time and loved that too!   

hope we have another opportunity again this year...

again thank you all!!!

Trish

4 minutes ago, SeVa said:

Short range models show a period of bay effect snow over Norfolk into Va beach around 5 today. Not too often we see that around here.

Yup, even the AKQ discussion hinted at that this morning. Last time it occurred was in Jan of last year, I got a dusting and nobody even mentioned it in the forecast.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived