Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

1 minute ago, kvegas-wx said:

Hey Chuck, just measured 8 1/4" on the back deck.  We may approach 9" with this last heavy band.  Big fat flakes just started dropping again.  Hit the seasonal average so I'm ready for spring!  :-)

Our already hitting climo average crossed my mind earlier. I'm ready to spread the pre-emergent now. :D

27 and still a steady snow right now with big flakes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got maybe a couple of inches of snow with a bit of sleet under it overnight. It really is frustrating how different parts of town got inches more or less than others. The kids are happy, though! 

I'm in unincorporated Simpsonville, close to HWY 14 and Woodruff Road in Greenville SC. Just down the road in Mauldin they got only a half an inch, yet 5 miles away in Taylors they got 5! Amazing!

5 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Hey Chuck, just measured 8 1/4" on the back deck.  We may approach 9" with this last heavy band.  Big fat flakes just started dropping again.  Hit the seasonal average so I'm ready for spring!  :-)

We got lucky for sure... i feel for the folks who got stuck with mixing issues.  It's extremely rare and a nice treat to have a storm start as snow, and stay snow the entire time..     The warm nose made a run at us with the sleet not even 25 miles to our south at some points last night... modeling would've told you that line would be 100 miles away from here a couple days ago..

Pouring snow right now, but it's about to shut off.  

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

Where can i find snowfall reports for VA?

NWS Wakefield should put out an updated Public Information Statement soon.  They can be found at http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=AKQ&issuedby=AKQ&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on

Also, some people are reporting amounts on the NWS Wakefield Facebook page but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Btw..doesn't look like temps will rise hardly at all from morning lows here in North ga. 20s combined with 20 to 30 mph winds...brrr. old wind chill scale would give wind chills as low as 10 below instead of the scale today... 5 to 10 above.  Tonight/tomorrow morning will be brutal..with lows in the  single digits to near 10 where any snow is on the ground.  And there looks like there is a real chance at sub zero temps in the north ga mountains. Even the Nam/4km nam is showing it. 

sfct.us_se.png

Light snow reported in Bonneau (northern Berkeley County) on the NE side of Lake Moultrie. We might have a stray flurry or ice pellet in Summerville, but that likely is about it for the winter weather for this storm in the immediate Charleston area. 

Dillon and Darlington seeing dustings of snow.

3 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

WOW, this last band is really dumping it...   Hardest snow I've seen in the 6 years I've lived in this house....   Turned out to be an incredible storm around here.  

I live in Colfax and we haven't seen any "heavy" stuff since daybreak.

TW

As the final flakes taper off into flurries, final tally for me NW of CLT is 2.25-2.5" sleet/snow.  Leaning towards a total frozen precip of 2.5-3" when you factor in compaction that has taken place.  I grew up in Northern Catawba County, wish I was at home because the picture my mother sent showed an easy 8", backed up by an 8.5" measurement picture I saw from a friend in Claremont before the final band kicked through up there.

2 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I live in Colfax and we haven't seen any "heavy" stuff since daybreak.

TW

I just had a 5 minute burst where it snowed harder than at any time from when the storm started, until 5 am... i slept from 5-830 so I dont know what happened then.  I will say we picked up 1.4" in an hour last night between 1-2am,  and it was just coming down harder than that for sure.    How much do you guys have on the ground over there?  8"?  

7 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

WOW, this last band is really dumping it...   Hardest snow I've seen in the 6 years I've lived in this house....   Turned out to be an incredible storm around here.  

That's awesome to hear! Hopefully it stays that strong by the time it makes it over here. If I could get another 0.5-1" I'd be happy; that would put me close to 8".

13 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

wow this last band is awesome. hardest snow I have seen yet this storm as well. Sadly looks like back edge is coming thru Winston.

~9" here

14 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

I just had a 5 minute burst where it snowed harder than at any time from when the storm started, until 5 am... i slept from 5-830 so I dont know what happened then.  I will say we picked up 1.4" in an hour last night between 1-2am,  and it was just coming down harder than that for sure.    How much do you guys have on the ground over there?  8"?  

Yes.  8".  I'm north of 40 just off Bunker Hill Road (1 mile north of market street).

TW

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived