Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

1 minute ago, nnweather757 said:

Up to 9 inches in Newport News, VA.  Still coming down hard. Wind is gusting to 15-20 mph and blowing the snow around.

I generally find my weather is more similar to your area than to most of the area covered by my official weather office at RAH. I have about 7" accum and moderate snow still falling.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a great 80's style classic snowstorm - for those above the snow line of course (sorry :( ).  Temps well below freezing, still snowing, and going to stay cold for a while.  A nice anniversary for the '88 storm.

I know weather in the mtns. is hard to predict but 1-3 inches predicted the other day I think Wednesday and I get 7 inches and some parts of Asheville got 10 inches, you would hope that the TV weather guys could do a little better than that, that's a big difference , I think just Wednesday one local met. said Asheville would be more on the 1 inch side than the 3 inch side.  WELLLLLLLLL

1 minute ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

I generally find my weather is more similar to your area than to most of the area covered by my official weather office at RAH. I have about 7" accum and moderate snow still falling.

Agreed.  A line from Roanoke Rapids to Wakefield or Smithfield and then Newport News typically comes up with similar amounts, temps, etc.  We were impacted by the sleet but not as much as south of the James River like Suffolk, Portsmouth, and Norfolk.

1 hour ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I posted the other night when the NAM made huge jump NW people threw it out.... But JB said he wouldn't discount it he's seen it score a coup before, and he thinks models will adjust west.. They did I got probably 9 inches by now and still coming down.

Yeah man, the crazy ol' NAM wasn't bad at all! Sniffed out the warm nose as it always does. And the RGEM nailed the early onset precip yesterday afternoon. Those two models were great inside 48 hours. I can't believe we scored a coup on this one! Still snowing heavily here, probably close to 8" or so. I'll measure in a bit.

33 minutes ago, SnowJoMoJo said:

Hi Frazdaddy. How'd you do with this? Got 1.5 of IP up here in Wake Forest. Pixie dust now, but looking for your band to make it here in the next 30 minutes or so. 

Hey,

2 maybe 2.5 grauple. Snowing nicley still though. Ill post some picts later of various and asundry farm animals playing in it.

.what a bizarre storm here. I lost count on how many times it flipped back and forth between sleet and snow. At one point around midnight I think....no joke..I saw the largest flakes I've ever seen. They were the size of the palm of my hand..with some even slightly larger. It was unreal. Of course when that happens you know temps are warm enough to partially melt them and allowing them to stick together..and a change to rain or sleet is imminent and sure enough it went back to sleet 10 minutes later. 

Absolutely incredible to me that 10 miles away it was rain at the airport a large part of the night..with temps actually rising to 34 at times..never saw any rain here. Temps here stayed at about 32.1 to 32.9...Yet probably 5 miles west of here it was 29 to 31 and all snow all night based on the cc on ffcs radar. But it was warm enough..thanks to warm ground temps to melt whatever was falling at the same rate. It didn't actually drop below freezing here until 330am. This is twice now I've seen such a strange temp/snow/sleet combo with a storm at this location...where a 2 minute drive west was all snow for the duration.

The temp rise..and rain..in the eaatern half of the county was thanks to the wind changing direction to the northeast. Gainesville airport was snow with a nw or w wind but as soon as it turned ne and even ene it went to rain. Dawson county there was light NW  west winds...while  This location is so on the line that the wind was pretty much dead calm..in fact it seemed that when there was any slight ne breeze it would go to sleet . ..then it would go back to snow with calm winds or light NW wind. Looking back, the nam/4km nam and hrrr had a remarkably good handle on the delicate temps at the surface across the county and obviously aloft...where this local was right on edge of the elevated warm nose.

All in all....Got about 2 inches of everything..but if the temp had been just a half to 1 degree colder..probably would be 3 or 4 inches easy. Was really thinking 4 to 6 was likely so obviously, like many, not what I expected. Even so, that is a lot better than back home where it stayed all rain and it was awesome to see those huge parachutes and fascinating seeing all the phase changes. 

. It sucks this warm layer was so stout and ruined things for so many though.. The gfs really did a bad job with it..as it consistently had an all snow profile..for many runs north of 78 and north of 85 line..especially  by 03z.. in the last day or so. (not counting the warm bubble in ne ga)..and only until the last minute did it catch on where the Nam and hrrr had done much sooner. I feel especially bad about the atlanta to athens to gainesville triangle because it seemed like that area was the spot to be..where the most precip was likely to fall where it was cold enough. I feel even worse for gainesville proper because I didn't think there would be rain at all there..staying well east of town and east of hall county.. Incredible.that in the end...Atlanta and places south of there got more winter precip.than the eastern half of all county..which btw you can clearly see that on visible sat. 

Folks up north are so lucky...they sure have a lot easier time getting it right than down here. 

50 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

How's that band right now @calculus1? Looks strong.

It was fantastic!  I was out in it when you asked the question.  Couldn't believe how hard it was snowing again.  Anyway, just a few light flurries left here.  I'm calling it at 8.5 inches on the deck and 10 inches in the grass.  I'm sure I might have lost a little due to compaction, since I didn't use an official snow board, but I think that's a good measure of how deep it is here.  Just an amazing sight to see!  What did you end up with?

23 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Still sleet mixing with the snow.  This sucks!

I didn't follow the details very closely out your way but I'm shocked that so many areas in nc  got what they did after all those runs, models, and ensembles showing so much...Nothing worae than the feeling, anger, frustration of a busted storm...where after you put so much time, energy, thought,  and emotion into the storm and coming to the conclusion of a big one....only to end up with rain, sleet, and a little slop. Se winter storms are hell sometimes.

Woke up in Lincolnton to at least 6" and still coming down. About to finish up here.
Will be taking the sleds out soon!

I grew up in Brevard, so I've seen big snows. Anytime we get 6" or so down here, I'm happy.

I'm so sorry this was a bust for so many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

Snowflakes getting larger and coming down harder as this last band is about to pull through.  Just a tad over 8" in N Kville. 

Hey Chuck, just measured 8 1/4" on the back deck.  We may approach 9" with this last heavy band.  Big fat flakes just started dropping again.  Hit the seasonal average so I'm ready for spring!  :-)

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived