Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bargainmusic said:

Clearly I'm having way too much fun to go to bed. This snow is relentless! Estimating close to 6" as it stands.

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

My back deck ain't gone be pretty. Left up nice canopy tent after wife told me to take down. Mother nature just did. If that glass patio table broke I'll be sleeping in the snow tommorrow instead of sledding.

3 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Yo Grit!! How goes it Brother? Hoping you cashed in with some good snow. I was in SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the warm nose in Belmont (a few miles south of I-85). We have had PREDOMINATELY ip/rain with snow every now and then. We had a few bursts of mainly snow, however, it ALWAYS had ip mixed in. Got a dusting on the cars, yard, etc. I have been tracking storms since the WRIGHT WEATHER BOARD Days of the late 90's, to Eastern Wx to American and I must say...THIS STORM STINGS THE MOST. To see EVERYONE around you gaining accumulations and to be under that warm bubble. I may hang this up after this one. HA. I want to say THANK YOU for all of your input to us all. GREAT JOB man!

Best regards, 

Jason 

Thanks a lot Jason.  That is crazy and unfortunate for you....man, so hard to forecast this stuff.  Always best to play it conservative...I wasn't conservative enough I'm sure over the Charlotte area (Meck County)

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

Thanks a lot Jason.  That is crazy and unfortunate for you....man, so hard to forecast this stuff.  Always best to play it conservative...I wasn't conservative enough I'm sure over the Charlotte area (Meck County)

Congrats on the snow! Amazing how CLT and the immediate area got screwed again. I think I got as much snow in AMS as uptown did. 

Recent special weather statement for the Triad below - glad I stayed up for what's coming!!!

"

• Issuing Office: Raleigh/Durham

Source: National.Weather.Service

2:21am EST, Sat Jan 7

... MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW OVER THE TRIAD REGION... MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW CONTINUES TO FALL OVER ALL OF DAVIDSON... GUILFORD... FORSYTH... NORTHWESTERN RANDOLPH... ALAMANCE... NORTHERN ORANGE... AND PERSON COUNTIES AS OF 213 AM. STORM TOTALS HAVE ALREADY REACHED 5 INCHES IN HIGH POINT AND ELON... 4.5 INCHES AT ROXBORO AND THOMASVILLE... AND 4 INCHES AT KERNERSVILLE AND WINSTON- SALEM. AMOUNTS FROM ASHEBORO EASTWARD WERE MUCH LESS... CUT DOWN BY SLEET THUS FAR. THE SNOW AND SLEET LINE EXTENDED FROM CENTRAL RANDOLPH COUNTY NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHEASTERN ALAMANCE AND CENTRAL ORANGE COUNTIES. THIS LINE WILL MOVE EAST AND ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SNOW BY 400 AM. HOURLY SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 1.5 INCHES WILL OCCUR THROUGH 500 AM. TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED AS TEMPERATURES FALL THROUGH THE 20S."

1 hour ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Just pulled off I-95N near Enfield, NC. Heavy sleet accumulating on the roads caused this driver to slide off into a ditch.   Thankfully,  he's just shaken up.  Roads very icy.  

Temp is 30F

Will continue N on 95 to Roanoke Rapids.  Then to Suffolk, VA.  Onto Virginia Beach area by dawn.  

Note: I apologize in advance to anyone who I'm not able to respond to while on the road. 

Metro soutside has been mostly sleet thus far. You should drive up 17 through Smithfield and hang out in Newport News for a few hours before making your back to the south side.

10 minutes ago, qwertyu said:

For some reason it's not letting me upload a photo. It's just a tad over 7".

I've just started getting a little sleet now with the snow....both are light

2 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Up to ~6" here in N High Point as of a few minutes ago. I tried to go to sleep but it isn't easy to close your eyes on a storm like this.

I know right

Relentless warm nose down here for hours and hours and hours and hours on end. I feel so sorry for Chris Justus and John C. I don't think Dale Gilbert was suprised though. He's seen this setup many times. It just doesn't work out south of 85 when you're depending on bringing cold air from the NW side of the Apps. Models said the cold air would eventually overtake the warm nose but it just didn't happen. It actually ended up a lot deeper than modeled. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived