Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Can anyone explain what mechanism is causing the line to actually move north?  I am mostly ignorant about the dynamics of storms but I have a strong science background so I can take a good bit of technical explanation.

Warm air advection

22 minutes ago, NEGa said:

yikes!  i was hoping for the big dump, of course, but realistically it rarely happens.  i have been thinking 2-3" for mby and hoping for 4 or 5 lol.  i have 2 1/4 on the ground here so i am pretty happy - and glad no shaft!  i think what hurt here, was as usual, we mixed. i just went out and back to some sleet.  had it all been snow then probably would have had a couple of more inches. when it was all snow it just poured down and accumulated quickly.  then it would mix and eh it usually happens here.   all in all though any snow imby at or above 2" i consider a pretty good storm.  and everything is covered and sure looks like winter lol

Really tough storm to predict storm for northeast GA. There has been a pretty pesky inverted trough & thermal ridge that has made northeast Georgia one of the warmest spots relative to latitude for this event. It's just hard sometimes with these weaker synoptic systems, where the cold air bleeds around the Appalachians, but areas directly S of the highest peaks suffer because they can't take advantage of the CAA northwesterly flow that NW Georgia receives, nor the CAA northeasterly CAD flow that the Carolinas receive.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 12.18.38 AM.png

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So what caused the WAA when it was not being predicted previously?  Did the track of the low track further inland?

It's a known bias in modeling. We all just try to ignore it leading up to an event. The 800mb warm nose pushing 15 or 20 miles farther than modeled is as dependable as Cold air damning events hanging on much longer than modeled.

7 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

Just measured 3.25" ... gained another inch in the past hour.  Been consistently mod snow for the past 2 hours, with some larger flakes for the past 20-30 minutes.  

I'm too cold to go outside and measure myself. I was estimating somewhere near 4". I'm off Piney Grove. 

1 minute ago, phil882 said:

Really tough storm to predict storm for northeast GA. There has been a pretty pesky inverted trough & thermal ridge that has made northeast Georgia one of the warmest spots relative to latitude for this event. It's just hard sometimes with these weaker synoptic systems, where the cold air bleeds around the Appalachians, but areas directly S of the highest peaks suffer because they can't take advantage of the CAA northwesterly flow that NW Georgia receives, nor the CAA northeasterly CAD flow that the Carolinas receive.

qyiAYLf.jpg

What's the latest on the Low? When and where do you feel it will cross Florida and start to head up the coast? Thanks 

Just pulled off I-95N near Enfield, NC. Heavy sleet accumulating on the roads caused this driver to slide off into a ditch.   Thankfully,  he's just shaken up.  Roads very icy.  

Temp is 30F

Will continue N on 95 to Roanoke Rapids.  Then to Suffolk, VA.  Onto Virginia Beach area by dawn.  

Note: I apologize in advance to anyone who I'm not able to respond to while on the road. 

1 minute ago, phil882 said:

qyiAYLf.jpg

thanks for the explanation - its not the first time its happened, so i am used to it when i see that "bump" on the snow maps for this area. it has kept the precip from never changing to snow before, so i am pretty happy with what mby received...it fell within my expectations fortunately lol

3 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

It's a known bias in modeling. We all just try to ignore it leading up to an event. The 800mb warm nose pushing 15 or 20 miles farther than modeled is as dependable as Cold air damning events hanging on much longer than modeled.

Well pooh upon that.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived