Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, magpiemaniac said:

I made myself a cup of coffee and will try to stay up for the higher rates soon to hit GSO.  This is a once in a decade+ type of event.

27 and still a nice, steady powder coming down.  Daughter took the dog out to play earlier and she said it was like powered sugar.

i'm happy for you guys. enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, NEGa said:

yikes!  i was hoping for the big dump, of course, but realistically it rarely happens.  i have been thinking 2-3" for mby and hoping for 4 or 5 lol.  i have 2 1/4 on the ground here so i am pretty happy - and glad no shaft!  i think what hurt here, was as usual, we mixed. i just went out and back to some sleet.  had it all been snow then probably would have had a couple of more inches. when it was all snow it just poured down and accumulated quickly.  then it would mix and eh it usually happens here.   all in all though any snow imby at or above 2" i consider a pretty good storm.  and everything is covered and sure looks like winter lol

I have about the same as you. Between 2 and 2.25" and I'm fine with that. Sure I would like to see 6" or more but i'm not going to complain.

4 minutes ago, Poimen said:

26 and SNOW. Like Frosty, heaviest of the night and the flakes have increased in size to some degree. 

I'll never forget Jan 2000. It had snowed about a inch and the 1100 news weather man along with nws had me getting about 3 inches. Said Raleigh east was where the action would be. So I went off to bed only to wake up to 15 inches of snow at 7:00 am. Swore I'd never miss another big one if the chance presented itself.

Not expecting 15 tonight but kind of hoping wed get some thunder maybe.

8 minutes ago, NEGa said:

yikes!  i was hoping for the big dump, of course, but realistically it rarely happens.  i have been thinking 2-3" for mby and hoping for 4 or 5 lol.  i have 2 1/4 on the ground here so i am pretty happy - and glad no shaft!  i think what hurt here, was as usual, we mixed. i just went out and back to some sleet.  had it all been snow then probably would have had a couple of more inches. when it was all snow it just poured down and accumulated quickly.  then it would mix and eh it usually happens here.   all in all though any snow imby at or above 2" i consider a pretty good storm.  and everything is covered and sure looks like winter lol

I can't believe you are still mixing.  I've been 100% snow with the main event but have only accumulated 3" which is really what I expected to happen.  Back edge is rapidly approaching so I'm hoping to go out with a bang.  LOL

4 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

snow line absolutely booking it north. http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RAX-N0C-1-48 hrrr had us at snow at this point. pouring sleet.

Can anyone explain what mechanism is causing the line to actually move north?  I am mostly ignorant about the dynamics of storms but I have a strong science background so I can take a good bit of technical explanation.

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I'll never forget Jan 2000. It had snowed about a inch and the 1100 news weather man along with nws had me getting about 3 inches. Said Raleigh east was where the action would be. So I went off to bed only to wake up to 15 inches of snow at 7:00 am. Swore I'd never miss another big one if the chance presented itself.

Not expecting 15 tonight but kind of hoping wed get some thunder maybe.

I'm doing all I can stay awake right now. I'm not as young as I used to be!

Just now, cbmclean said:

Can anyone explain what mechanism is causing the line to actually move north?  I am mostly ignorant about the dynamics of storms but I have a strong science background so I can take a good bit of technical explanation.

WAA from the low forming in the Atlantic. 

4 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

I can't believe you are still mixing.  I've been 100% snow with the main event but have only accumulated 3" which is really what I expected to happen.  Back edge is rapidly approaching so I'm hoping to go out with a bang.  LOL

i was a bit surprised too as most of the models were showing mby close but staying just north of the mixing line. without the mix i would guess another inch or two but this is pretty close to what i was thinking so i am pretty happy :thumbsup: i was about to head to bed but saw that last blob - might as well wait a little longer and see if i can get one more snow burst lol

that "lookout bubble" probably kept the temp just a little more marginal than over your way.  the colder air also has a little farther to go to get here from that direction

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived