Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Tough Job indeed.  I've been 30 miles from snow all night.  You can't predict that.  It could've easily been 30 miles south of me with just a couple degree difference.  I-85 corridor has to be one of the hardest to forecast. 

100% agree. Time and time again forecast fall into now-casting and that is brutal for on air mets.

5 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

NC hailstorm posted it in other thread. He's a ukieaholic like myself. I haven't checked and the last thing I want to do tonight is go dig up a model lol. I'm like you wondering 8f it's initialized from a few hrs ago even though it's 0z. A pivot is a possibility and it will be right at, off charleston when it does it so who knows. 

I see people posting BIG FLAKES, mine been all tiny flakes probably got 3 inches. If they had been big flakes could've doubled my totals easy! Why are they so tiny?  I mean I got HEAVY TINY FLAKES now..... 

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I have slightly more than 2". We had some very heavy snow just a little while ago.

Heavier is moving back in.  I'm down to 31 so temps are starting to move.  We were on the edge of the getting shafted big time.  Gainesville is rain while some friends of ours in Cumming have no snow on the ground.

1 minute ago, BIG FROSTY said:

I see people posting BIG FLAKES, mine been all tiny flakes probably got 3 inches. If they had been big flakes could've doubled my totals easy! Why are they so 

4 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Had you a nice response written and deleted it lol. Layman's terms your further away from the mechanism generating the precip, less torque, lifting etc

1 minute ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Heavier is moving back in.  I'm down to 31 so temps are starting to move.  We were on the edge of the getting shafted big time.  Gainesville is rain while some friends of ours in Cumming have no snow on the ground.

yikes!  i was hoping for the big dump, of course, but realistically it rarely happens.  i have been thinking 2-3" for mby and hoping for 4 or 5 lol.  i have 2 1/4 on the ground here so i am pretty happy - and glad no shaft!  i think what hurt here, was as usual, we mixed. i just went out and back to some sleet.  had it all been snow then probably would have had a couple of more inches. when it was all snow it just poured down and accumulated quickly.  then it would mix and eh it usually happens here.   all in all though any snow imby at or above 2" i consider a pretty good storm.  and everything is covered and sure looks like winter lol

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived