Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clayton, GA

Last update of the night, having trouble keeping the eyelids open...

Temp still 31 but noticing wet bulb starting to fall with each update so I think temps are about to start falling quicker. Snow lightened up for a while after the last heavy band, but radar quickly filled back in and as I type this it's really getting heavy again. Just eyeball estimate on the deck looks to be getting close to about 5 inches. In the morning I'll actually go out and get a measurement when it's all said and done. 

Just now, GunBlade said:

Sleet picked back up and is huge.  Little bigger than BB's almost pea size.  Sounds like hail outside but they're perfectly round and clear!

I was just about to post the same thing. Pretty much same story here, every time I hear a lull I quickly look to see if we've changed over. So far that really hasn't been the case. If I can get 2-4 inches, I'll be satisfied. 

3 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

I was just about to post the same thing. Pretty much same story here, every time I hear a lull I quickly look to see if we've changed over. So far that really hasn't been the case. If I can get 2-4 inches, I'll be satisfied. 

CC and 850 is back on the move SW.  Maybe it can make it here and hopefully NCSNOW is correct about QPF still left.  Could maybe somehow miraculously pull off a few inches of snow. 

And yea I do the same.  It gets quiet so I go check but nada.  Frustrating but so is the life here. 

Brad P sounding quite apologetic on his most recent livestream report.  Admits that areas south and east of Charlotte are not going to get anywhere the totals he originally thought.  He says that he was right on the amount of precipitation, just not the types.  Not sure that will be too much solace to those missing out on snowfall.  I admit that on-air TV mets have a tough job.

2 minutes ago, wake4est said:

I'm out.  Southern Wake will be all rain, no sleet or snow. Enjoy up north!

was such a promising storm. everyone fell flat on their faces for this one and busted big time.  i'm gonna go eat wings and watch gladiator. 

1 minute ago, Miller said:

snow/sleet for past 1hr south of 85 in GVL. Hope snow takes over. The nexrad radar is cool, as it shows the rain/snow line.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=GSP-N0C-1-12

yes, I'm just north of I-85; intermittent mixing for hours; mostly snow now and huge flakes at that; at least 1-2 inches

2 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Brad P sounding quite apologetic on his most recent livestream report.  Admits that areas south and east of Charlotte are not going to get anywhere the totals he originally thought.  He says that he was right on the amount of precipitation, just not the types.  Not sure that will be too much solace to those missing out on snowfall.  I admit that on-air TV mets have a tough job.

Tough Job indeed.  I've been 30 miles from snow all night.  You can't predict that.  It could've easily been 30 miles south of me with just a couple degree difference.  I-85 corridor has to be one of the hardest to forecast. 

2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

NO WAY, Unless it pivots precip back around when low hits the coast, which 99 times out of 100 I'm too far west for coastal..... Back edge is inching east now 

NC hailstorm posted it in other thread. He's a ukieaholic like myself. I haven't checked and the last thing I want to do tonight is go dig up a model lol. I'm like you wondering 8f it's initialized from a few hrs ago even though it's 0z. A pivot is a possibility and it will be right at, off charleston when it does it so who knows. 

21 minutes ago, cheapdad00 said:

I'm about a half mile east of you and I had a very short period of all snow, been either all sleet or sleet/snow mix for the last few hours.

This happened in east Bham. It stayed sleet the entire time. Sometimes it was so heavy you could hear it inside the house. We never transitioned backed to snow, even though the radar showed snow. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived