Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

27 degrees here in Greensboro and already at 3" of all snow.  Heavy stuff doesn't hit for another hour or more.  I'll be surprised if we don't end with a foot at this rate.

Not sure when my kids will be back to school. :)

26degrees in Winston. My ruler says ~2" right now. Hoping for 8-10" more but I'll be happy with 6-8" total!

Amazing how GSP went from 4-9" 24 hrs ago, to 2-5" 12 hrs ago, back up to 5-7" now... for MBY (South Charlotte / Ballantyne area).  Nothing but rain all night with a couple sleet pellets here and there.  Maybe we'll squeeze a slushy inch out overnight but man what a let down.

The constant freezing rain in Atlanta is starting to take its toll.  There are now numerous reports of power outages from ice bring down trees and power lines.  This warm air nose is needing to shift out east/southeast to allow the incoming Arctic air to transition to snow because this freezing rain is becoming a hazard to the Metro Atlanta area...

2 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

It's currently 32 still hearing lots of sleet but also what look like small flakes. Winds have picked up though in the past 10 minutes so I am wondering if the CC band that keeps being mentioned, is meandering it's way towards me?

Unfortunately not.  It's retreated back NW.  Going to take a lot to get snow down to you and me and this rate.  May be lucky to finish with an inch or two near the end.  About to call it quits here. 

Snow's been falling in Taylors, SC since about 8:30pm. The car and grassy areas became coated by 10pm. Currently 32.2 (it had been 32.4 for a while now) and looks like some heavy returns about to come through the area.

I've been watching the CC radar [link] at GSP and it looks like the snow line is slowly drifting south of i85 now.

With the trajectory of the returns back through the Upstate to Georgia, and the stubbornness of the snow/sleet line waffling right over me, my gut says is I wake up to something Tony (dsaur) would be jealous of.  Ill take 3" of sleet with an inch of snow on top for frosting and call it a success.  And blame burger's chiming in this morning of "I have snow in Amsterdam"   for this pesky warm nose overhead somewhere (hasn't been at 925 or 850 at any point before 30 min ago when I last checked).

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived