Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WidreMann said:

All snow here in SoDu and coming down at a decent clip. Ground is turning white. But the changeover line is slowly moving northwards again on the COD radar. HRRR is vaccilating between turning us to sleet or staying mostly snow. I imagine we'll fight with it all night.

Just as the heaviest precip starts rolling in from the south.  I'll probably be the canary in the coal mine for you again.  But so far, I haven't heard pingers and only see snow outside for the past 15-20 mins

10 minutes ago, Poimen said:

From RAH tonight: 

In what is expected to
be the all or mostly snow area over the Nrn Piedmont, where the 00Z
GSO RAOB sampled an extremely favorable snow profile, currently
advertised "Most Likely" snow totals may be conservative given the
wetter trend in recent NAM and RAP runs.

It's coming down pretty hard outside. Visibilit just keeps getting lower and lower. Wind is  contributing to alot of that.

Anyway if this keeps up till 7,8,9 oclock in the a.m. , we'll make a run at foot totals no doubt. Those high qpf totals are gonna verify for once.

11 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Using the link strong posted, it got to 85 and jogged back to sit basically over my house and the Hwy 27 corridor.  Bout to take the dog on a walk in a few so will have an actual obs that's not behind a glass.

I had sleet at my house while i was walking the dog but now its back to mostly snow. 

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

It's coming down pretty hard outside. Visibilit just keeps getting lower and lower. Wind is  contributing to alot of that.

Anyway if this keeps up till 7,8,9 oclock in the a.m. , we'll make a run at foot totals no doubt. Those high qpf totals are gonna verify for once.

What were the 'Most Likely" totals for the Triad they are mentioning ?

1 minute ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

Between 2.5 to 3 inches of snow on the ground and snowing heavy again. You can hear branches cracking in the distance from the weight of the snow on the trees when outside for a few minutes.

Same here. Just measured and came out with 2.75". Wind is really blowing.

11 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Using the link strong posted, it got to 85 and jogged back to sit basically over my house and the Hwy 27 corridor.  Bout to take the dog on a walk in a few so will have an actual obs that's not behind a glass.

I was looking at a 24 frame loop of it and for some reason it wasn't capturing the most recent images....so you are right, when I choose the 6 or 12 image option, it had the latest images that showed it climbing north a little

3 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

We are well on our way to double digits here. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived