Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

Just now, JoshWeather said:

which is where i am.  Sadly i've gone from being in the catbirds seat to being in the rainbirds seat....with just a 20 mile movement.  Two times in 3 years i've missed out on 6+ inch snows by 20 miles.  Sucks

2014 was worse for me, everywhere around me was getting snow while I held onto sleet or small flakes due to crappy dendrite growth.  Still ended up with something like 8" of snow/sleet concrete but oh so close to something bigger.  I had mostly sleet mixing in with rain earlier when models were showing we start as plain rain, so I'm not complaining, but would have loved to have seen some flakes flying.  Down where you are is gonna be a close call with how the 850's are currently, you are around 0.  I was right on the -3 line basically earlier but now its jumped up a degree.  Will be interesting when the main batch starts to roll through in a few hours.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

2014 was worse for me, everywhere around me was getting snow while I held onto sleet or small flakes due to crappy dendrite growth.  Still ended up with something like 8" of snow/sleet concrete but oh so close to something bigger.  I had mostly sleet mixing in with rain earlier when models were showing we start as plain rain, so I'm not complaining, but would have loved to have seen some flakes flying.  Down where you are is gonna be a close call with how the 850's are currently, you are around 0.  I was right on the -3 line basically earlier but now its jumped up a degree.  Will be interesting when the main batch starts to roll through in a few hours.  

my house basically straddles the snow/rain line and has for the past day or two in models.  I've lived here long enough that this has happened numerous times as well with smaller storms.  One day ill get a good snow here...one day

20 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

This almost reminds me of the beginning of a big overrunning event right now. Small flakes, right at freezing. Here we go.

Feels like it.  Radar looks like it.  Got the smoker going on the porch, pork shoulder on low & slow.  Going to be a good morning.

32.2 degrees

Can someone explain to me why I didn't see hardly any snow?  I live on the side of a large hill about 1000 feet in the air. Everyone is talking about it snowing, but to me, it isn't snow. You can't see it fall from the sky. It's little ice pellets. We had a brief bit of snow when it was really heavy, but it quickly switched back to all ice. Is it possible that I'm only getting ice while everyone around me is getting snow?  Now, there is about an inch of sleet on the ground, but it's not snow. 

1 minute ago, Touchet said:

Can someone explain to me why I didn't see hardly any snow?  I live on the side of a large hill about 1000 feet in the air. Everyone is talking about it snowing, but to me, it isn't snow. You can't see it fall from the sky. It's little ice pellets. We had a brief bit of snow when it was really heavy, but it quickly switched back to all ice. Is it possible that I'm only getting ice while everyone around me is getting snow?  Now, there is about an inch of sleet on the ground, but it's not snow. 

What you got is called "Graupel"

13 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

You can see the lee side development forcing returns SE.. waiting also 35 degrees
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see it "blossoming"!

1 minute ago, strongwxnc said:

Snow has started back. No rain no sleet! Just snow
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!  Can't wait to see it here soon.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived