Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yeah..Radar looks great...think we will like the end results. 

Flurries have started here the past few minutes

I hope we can get some under those heavy returns south of town..really curious to see if that heavy precip can force an early changeover

good luck near gainesville - you could be in a great spot.  i also finally checked radar (was too nervous earlier haha) and wow, it seems like its starting to look really good.  now we just need the temps to drop a little

How is it that in the days of Charlie Gertz (80's), that the local snow forecasts were far more accurate?  Sitting here in Easley, SC looking at radar. At least 1/2 of the storm has passed and not ONE snowflake and about 5 minute of sleet mixed with rain so far.  Radar indicates we are getting pounded with rain, yet it is as dry as a bone outside.  What gives?  Have the current breed of mets put too much emphasis on the modern computer models (which SUCK for winter weather where we live)???? I used to frequent these forums every winter hoping for a head's up on the pretty white stuff and 98% of the time, it was a let down so I quit last year.  I popped back in here this year just to see what the excuses were for this busted forecast. How is it that the "Old Timers" managed to get it right with much more frequency? The modern models rarely get it correct but yet everyone continues to base their forecast on them.

How is it that in the days of Charlie Gertz (80's), that the local snow forecasts were far more accurate?  Sitting here in Easley, SC looking at radar. At least 1/2 of the storm has passed and not ONE snowflake and about 5 minute of sleet mixed with rain so far.  Radar indicates we are getting pounded with rain, yet it is as dry as a bone outside.  What gives?  Have the current breed of mets put too much emphasis on the modern computer models (which SUCK for winter weather where we live)???? I used to frequent these forums every winter hoping for a head's up on the pretty white stuff and 98% of the time, it was a let down so I quit last year.  I popped back in here this year just to see what the excuses were for this busted forecast. How is it that the "Old Timers" managed to get it right with much more frequency? The modern models rarely get it correct but yet everyone continues to base their forecast on them.

Live in Easley as well, it's definitely a tricky area when it comes to winter weather. I'm sure there are other more knowledgeable people here that can explain why that is, but I don't think we are done with this storm yet. Temp has steadily dropped here, am down to 34 now, just need some of these radar returns to start reaching the ground again and I think we will be good.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, CarlHill said:

It's not a bust and you are suffering from a common aliment.  Selective memory. The good old days syndrome.

9 minutes ago, CarlHill said:

You know it might help if you actually paid attention because if you did you would know most areas were not supposed to changeover until night..so this rant is pretty lame. And ..calling a storm a bust when it's barely even started is equally stupid...because there is a lot yet to come.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived