Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

16 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I have a friend here that I stay with and who puts up with a thousand trips outside and to the window lol

I think we are pretty much in the same boat  and as good as place as any to be honest. Go any further NW and run the risk of it being drier..while further se and temps are an issue. 

Interesting to note...temps have been  about 3 to 5 degrees colder than the models were showing back home...someone even said they saw a few flakes. I was conflicted about whether to leave or not since I've been thinking the models were probably 4 or 5 degrees too warm and with heavy precip/lift a  much sooner changeover was possible. What forced my hand though was that models were warming temps aloft  ever so slightly each run and chances of an earlier changeover was less and less. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

I'm about 15 min. south of you here in Flowery Branch...I think if we can hold off the bulk of the precip for a few more hours, we may be in the jackpot zone........guidance has shifted the heaviest band just north of the city, but I assume that's because of the borderline temps.......curious to see how borderline they'll be in this area once 9 or 10 o'clock rolls around.

- Buck

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jburns said:

Steady light snow continues.  Temp has fallen to 33.9º which has allowed the snow to begin to stick to elevated surfaces and the longer grasses. A nice 5º drop in two hours. Paved areas are wet. 

No real change except a bit more ground coverage.  The big news is I have now reached the freezing point.  Let's rock.

Just now, Tarheel17 said:

I will be paying close attention to your posts through this event. May be a tight gradient at times between sleet/snow

Probably will be! I'm at my dad's currently (visiting from grad school) and will probably spend the night at my mom's near Timberlyne. I bet there's a 2" difference between their totals when all is said and done. 33.7 now.

5 minutes ago, GlaringSun said:

Radar claims I'm getting mix/freezing rain, but there is none to see with my eyes... Could someone please explain why the precip isn't reaching the ground?

when the air is really dry, alot of the precip evaporates as it falls. it takes a little time for the precip to continue falling and saturate the atmostphere enough for it to reach the ground

great to hear reports of huge flakes earlier.  those are great.  hope that translates down here later tonight.

man after that 45 minutes of sleet went through its like nothing else is going to happen.  but I know that was just the teaser (hopefully).

2 minutes ago, Touchet said:

Even if the radar says it's snowing, it's not. It's all sleet and freezing rain. At last down here. Wasted precip. 

UR much deeper into the cold air than Atlanta is.  Really surprised you haven't changed over yet.  Must be a shallow layer of warmer air aloft as current analysis have 850 and 925 sub freezing.  Should get scoured out as the heavier returns to your SW reach you.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived