Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

48° / 39° First batch of rain is just now entering the area.  Should be fun watching how all of this unfolds to the north!  We might get some token snowflakes tomorrow morning before the moisture pulls out...otherwise, looking like a really cold rain for most of middle Georgia.  Pulling for my hometown of Rome, GA to get several inches!

57 minutes ago, Tony Sisk said:

so two questions here:

Are there two sets of energy?  I see the state of TN covered up and then the buildup from the gulf.

Is it possible to see the cold air on sat imagery? I realize that's probably a dumb question...but it looks like that TN energy is blocking the cold air.

Thanks!

That's a great question. I would assume not as the H is forcing winds from the NE down the east side of the mountains.

http://hint.fm/wind/

You can see the wind fetch at this site. However, someone else might be able to give you a better answer. 

4 minutes ago, sakau2007 said:

still sitting at 31 just south of Birmingham. No precip at the moment. I should also note the temperature has dropped to 23 in Florence, AL and 28 in Cullman, AL. If the cold temps drop another 50 miles before precip sets in, it is GAME ON in Birmingham.

Good news is that Intellicast has the 30* therm line on the Cullman/Jefferson border right now: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/Current.aspx?region=atl

34/23 and cloudy. Excited for tonight but I also fully expect a slower transition to all snow then is forecast.

2-4" seems like a very reasonable call here on the NW side of Atlanta. Hoping we can get under one of the convective snow-bands. 

Best of luck everyone! This has been so fun to follow the past week.

Looking at radar trends, the precip is really going to have to surge northward for Birmingham to get in on this. A dusting is coming in an hour or two but after that the heavier axis of precip is definitely setting up closer to Montgomery/Auburn/La Grange. I don't see much backbuilding of precip across southern Louisiana unfortunately.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived