Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Wow pinned this topic
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the cold air getting here sooner than forecasted? Nashville is already at 29, Florence, AL (NW corner of the state) is at 34 and Cullman, AL (about 50 miles north of Birmingham) is down to 38. Birmingham is sitting at 47 but the subfreezing temps look like they will invade northern Alabama fairly soon?

Also some light blue returns showing up on radar over northern AL though I don't think there is any ground truth.

18 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Had to Drive the wife to Doctor in Asheville from Saluda NC.  Brine trucks on I-26 around 1 pm this afternoon.  Hwy 176 brined when I got home and Henderson county NC had run the brine on the intermediate side roads by 5 pm.  NC DOT thinking higher amounts??  

Saluda NC looking at 38/24 right now...

Main roads in Rutherford County have were covered around 11am this morning. 

Dark and cold out. Currently 41

2 hours ago, lilj4425 said:

It's dark outside.

That's very helpful.  We're down to 45 here south of Gainesville.  Living in the Atlanta metro, this has all the makings of a complete bust or another epic snowmaggedon.  If the temperature can hold in the mid to upper 30's tomorrow and we get heavier precip in here faster than forecast, it could make for another epic Friday afternoon rush hour, especially if there is any scrambling to pull kids out of school.  I don't think that will happen, but there's only a few hours and a couple degrees between a normal Friday rush and another traffic disaster.  It is possible.

- Buck

29 minutes ago, audioguy3107 said:

That's very helpful.  We're down to 45 here south of Gainesville.  Living in the Atlanta metro, this has all the makings of a complete bust or another epic snowmaggedon.  If the temperature can hold in the mid to upper 30's tomorrow and we get heavier precip in here faster than forecast, it could make for another epic Friday afternoon rush hour, especially if there is any scrambling to pull kids out of school.  I don't think that will happen, but there's only a few hours and a couple degrees between a normal Friday rush and another traffic disaster.  It is possible.

- Buck

Same story here in Birmingham. Although most schools in the area are closed and I suspect many people will be leaving work long before roads get bad... if they go in at all. I'm going into the office a few hours early and will be dipping when the first reasonable precip arrives. 

For what it's worth, I'm at 38 degrees and have had a few sprinkles and sleet pellets over the last 2 hours.

4 hours ago, sakau2007 said:

Same story here in Birmingham. Although most schools in the area are closed and I suspect many people will be leaving work long before roads get bad... if they go in at all. I'm going into the office a few hours early and will be dipping when the first reasonable precip arrives. 

For what it's worth, I'm at 38 degrees and have had a few sprinkles and sleet pellets over the last 2 hours.

2 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

Current upper air obs suggest 0z nam verifying better over 0z gfs. trough slower to dig, but increased in amplitude. 

Did you see the RGEM?  Shows mixed precipitation that gets heavier and heavier through the day until it changes over to snow. A heavy sleet right before it snows?  Could you imagine if that verified! Lol. 

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Currently 37, temp dropped 2 degrees in last hour! Looks like cold air is funneling in from the North. If we can stay steady or only warm up a few degrees, like 40 or less, I'd be happy. With some precip starting at noon and GSP saying little warming!

Yup Down to 34 from 37 around 5:10am.. 

32 degrees. a sleet pellet and snowflake and sprinkle fall from time to time but nothing worth mentioning yet. I was planning on going in to the office for a few hours today but think I may just stay home because there are radar returns around and they could increase on short order... and January 2014 is still fresh on my mind!

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived