Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern System 1/5-1/8 2017 OBS

John1122

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh it's not going to affect me at all. This event is over for my area. Just trying to figure out where the next heavy batch is going to set up. I think it will be along a line from Murphy, NC to Greeneville to Johnson City. Then roughly Following I-81 from there. I wouldn't expect much more snow to the west of that area. 

14 minutes ago, Runman292 said:

John, do you think the snow is coming to an end for areas in and around Knoxville? It's tapered off to flurries in South Knoxville . 

There's a chance,  East Knox is in the best spot for the Knoxville area. If I were guessing I'd say .5 South/West of Knox. 1 or so more in the central areas of East TN. 1-3 more towards NC border.  

There's a chance,  East Knox is in the best spot for the Knoxville area. If I were guessing I'd say .5 South/West of Knox. 1 or so more in the central areas of East TN. 1-3 more towards NC border.  

Snow has picked back up again north of Knox. Radar looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20dbz band moving over producing moderate nickels sized flakes again. Windy, 18 mph with gusts to 26. Temp is 13 degrees producing sub zero wind chills. Could have had some epic drifts with this one if the moisture had been here in decent fashion. 

I keep thinking it's going to die out but another 15-20 dbz band is rolling out of Fentress County into Scott now. They keep blossoming along the far western edge of the Plateau and they grow as they head this way. MRX dropped the Northern Plateau from the WWA 1.5 hours ago but we've had steady light to moderate snow since then. Roads were getting bad here when I drove home at 10:30, can't imagine they've gotten better.  

Waking up to 14 degrees and a little more than 2.5in on the glass picnic table this morning and it's snowing on the heavy side of light, lol. Almost enough to be moderate. Less than I was hoping, but still very very nice. Maybe this last band can get me up to 3in. It's definitely been a challenging, but fun one to track for sure. Now it's gonna get cold. Maybe we can do this again at least once before the winter is over. 

Great job for you guys in the East TN area, seems like you get even fewer chances than those of us in Middle TN, hard to believe but true. The .50" that we have on the ground has helped us bottom out near 9 here this am, may drop a little more before starting a slow climb toward 20 or so; hopefully we will all have several more chances this year. In actuality, it has been a few years since we had nothing to track, last year was not great but we did have the storm mid January. I can recall several years in a row in the 1990's where we would have a perpetual Fall all Winter. Not sure if the good seasons are because of decreased sun spot activity or what but I am liking it, and, the added benefit is that if it snows at least some each year, people are allot more likely to build up driving skills to cope where as going two or three years without snow really does a number on the area when we even get just a dusting.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived