Newest Member
    joxey
Southern System 1/5-1/8 2017 OBS

John1122

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Unless the upper low wraps moisture back into the valley we are done in 30 min or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect we will continue to see light snow of little consequence for the rest of the evening, but I imagine accumulations are finished in the valley once this last batch of reflectivity moved through. That WSW isn't going to verify anywhere outside the mountains I'm afraid. Maybe the far NE valley can squeeze out warning criteria. I can't say I'm disappointed though. Chatty could have easily been shut out completely, and I got to enjoy some beautiful snowfall for a few hours. 

Pouring here.  Visibility is low, and I've heard the bypass around Gatlinburg is now closed.

I'm not sure how long the snow will last.  The snow band does seem to be realigning itself to hug the foothills and the Smokies.   But, I would think more will develop overnight as the main low intensifies and the upper level feature comes by.  Hoping so.  I'm just living in the moment, and enjoying the snow falling right now.  Sometimes you just gotta shut the radar off, pull the plug on technology, and enjoy what's happening right now and not worry about what might or might not happen. 

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

If the models are to be believed, as the LP beings to deepen and head NE towards SC the precip should wrap back over the mountains for at least the far eastern areas. Most have snow continuing over those areas for at least 6-8 more hours. 

Thats what i was thinking, our local met believes thunderstorms robbed the system

Modeling really doesn't show that, not sure why he thinks that is the problem.

It's not the problem. I understand what he's saying. Sometimes thunderstorms will hault return flow but this isn't one of those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Somehow, the snow is melting off my street with an air temp of 22 degrees and no sun. I think I need to contact the usgs. There must be a lava flow under there. 

It's because the snow is so dry and ground warmth melts it.  High ratio stuff melts very easily in general.  You can lose 3 inches in a few hours of sun with temps in the 20s.  

2 minutes ago, JCVol said:

We probably have a couple of inches here, I'll take it but I would have liked to have a good blanket to take pics in. It looks like the wraparound isn't happening are we done with accumulations in the central valley?

It's possible, but you should get several more hours of snow overnight per most every model. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived