Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Southern System 1/5-1/8 2017 OBS

John1122

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr Bob said:

A tour of Smartway cams shows some accumulations in Memphis, Nashville all the way down to Manchester and then over to the Plateau drop on I 40....Memphis looks like it is doing pretty good. 

As of 9:00AM in memphis it is snowing pretty steady with locally heavy bands of snow coming through in waves.  It is currently 18 degrees with about 1-2 inches on the ground.  Roads have deteriorated as the morning wears on and visibility at times has gone below 1/4 of a mile.

2 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

As of 9:00AM in memphis it is snowing pretty steady with locally heavy bands of snow coming through in waves.  It is currently 18 degrees with about 1-2 inches on the ground.  Roads have deteriorated as the morning wears on and visibility at times has gone below 1/4 of a mile.

That is awesome, Drew!  Glad to hear it.  Enjoy.........

Light snow and 27 in Erwin TN.  No accumulation

35 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Happy y'all are seeing snow this morning. Is it performing up to expectations?

The snow associated with the energy in the jet streak was a little north of projections from yesterday and last night and overperformed for areas of west and central (parts of east too) TN.  Best of luck over on your side of the "hill"!

We live off Concord Rd,i was taking my kids to school made it to a light and all i did was spin the wheels trying to get going,took a few seconds to get going.Went another half mile and seen the first wreck and said to myself, i've seen enough, no school for you kiddos and turned back around and went home.Problem with the roads were, they were treated two days ago and not the day before

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/01/06/highway-100-closed-williamson-county-several-crashes-davidson-reported/96237468/

8 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

We live off Concord Rd,i was taking my kids to school made it to a light and all i did was spin the wheels trying to get going,took a few seconds to get going.Went another half mile and seen the first wreck and said to myself, i've seen enough, no school for you kiddos and turned back around and went home.Problem with the roads were, they were treated two days ago and not the day before

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/01/06/highway-100-closed-williamson-county-several-crashes-davidson-reported/96237468/

Yea I know what you mean.   The did all the main roads yesterday out my way but with the Temps and the type of snow we are getting it has really stuck to the roads.  Now the dreaded Freeze ups are happening on the road and that is just further complicating things.  Plenty of wrecks this morning on my way to work, I am going to leave early today though cause I don't want any part of driving on these roads at night.

3 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

the radar needs to fill in on the back side of this system don't look to promising or am I missing something ??

It does look a little patchy but I still think you guys are gonna get some at some point today.  There is still a good patch of snow in Oklahoma city right now so hopefully that will trend eastwards and intensify as it comes across.  

If east TN misses on a 2-6 inch type snow it would be a fairly sizeable bust in modeling. Every member (GEFS) has much of east TN above 2" (not including higher ratios), but you can also see the SHARP cutoff when looking through the panels.  Going to be a painful wait for the precip to build into the area, but by 8-10 tonight we should see pretty good snows falling from the skies.

GEFS 30hr snowfall output 01062017.png

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived