Newest Member
    Dano62
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I would bet money that if 00Z holds or comes west more...the WSWs (winter weather products) will all come very west across CT to cover the whole state except N. litchfield.

figures....with the exception of the one warning criteria event, i have nickel and dimed my way to 30" ytd...not bad but I would prefer a killer KU, and no small events, to making climo by 1-3" events ecery week...but thats just me... hopefully the westward trends continue and it amps more, hopefully!

1 hour ago, Stash said:

It's been 2 years here north of ALB since I've had a 6" storm. The ultimate screw zone. 2-4" of slop in April might cripple us at this point. Looks like an exciting storm in ENE though. I'll be in western CT for it, so I hope to see at least a couple inches:)

It's almost comical how we seem to be missing them in every way possible.  Cirrus clouds sure are pretty.  Biggest snow this year 2.4". Last 6"+ storm Feb 2015.  On the sidelines of so many of the big coastals over the last decade.  We really used to get good storms lol.  Alb used to average 63", now were down to 58" and dropping each decade. Looks like a fun storm in SNE.  Best of luck to all.  

From BOX...

Only minor tweaks to the forecast this evening, mainly to bring
it back in line with observed trends. 18Z GFS and NAM have trended
slightly father west with the storm track. However, high
resolution continues to advertise a sharp cutoff to the heavy snow
along the western edge of the storm. Some concern that winter
weather headlines may need to be pushed farther west. We will
continue to monitor this situation, and adjust headlines as needed
later tonight.

1 hour ago, Stash said:

It's been 2 years here north of ALB since I've had a 6" storm. The ultimate screw zone. 2-4" of slop in April might cripple us at this point. Looks like an exciting storm in ENE though. I'll be in western CT for it, so I hope to see at least a couple inches:)

Glad we don't live in Ballston Lake.

More importantly than 12+ hour forecasts by the RAP, each RAP cycle for initial hours (e.g. look at 0z timepoint) is trending deeper and more robust with that lobe of vorticity down by Oklahoma... ironically trending towards what the 18z mesos show.

That has me more confident in continued NW trend and potential for 8"+ totals for Boston metro.

Thanks, I find your posts invaluable. We need more nowcast analysis.

6 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

why and when did we start naming winter storms... ridiculous... Helena, really...how bout Nemo!!

I know people hate TWC naming systems, but I am in the minority that actually like it. 

For example I road tripped to NE for Nemo & Juno. I couldn't tell you the dates of those storms, but I can tell you the names. Just like last year's Jan blizzard was Jonas. As for the names themselves, Nemo? Meh, but the actual naming I am cool with.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Glad we don't live in Ballston Lake.

The weird thing is that when I was growing up just west of Albany (late 60s-early 80s), there seemed to be no shortage of snowstorms. About the only really snow-diminished winter I can remember was 79-80.

Moved to Boston full-time in 85 and all the storms seemed to shift with me. Can't remember the last time my parents said they got walloped by a big storm.

Just now, SeanInWayland said:

The weird thing is that when I was growing up just west of Albany (late 60s-early 80s), there seemed to be no shortage of snowstorms. About the only really snow-diminished winter I can remember was 79-80.

Moved to Boston full-time in 85 and all the storms seemed to shift with me. Can't remember the last time my parents said they got walloped by a big storm.

I wonder if global warming is shifting the storm track more seaward.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wonder if global warming is shifting the storm track more seaward.

My guess is that storm patterns just go through a multi-year cycle of their own for reasons not completely understood. I remember one of the Albany mets talking about Miller A storms, and saying they used to be commonplace but then they kind of went away, and he hadn't seen a true one since the early '60s.

1 minute ago, SeanInWayland said:

My guess is that storm patterns just go through a multi-year cycle of their own for reasons not completely understood. I remember one of the Albany mets talking about Miller A storms, and saying they used to be commonplace but then they kind of went away, and he hadn't seen a true one since the early '60s.

Well, we know that is true...there are multidecadal  trends, but the instance rate of blockbuster coastals going back 20+ years is undeniable.

Archived