SnowHabit
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

If you had to guess John.

It depends .. what's the agency providing that.

That's probably a better question for Scott; pretty sure his job gets him close to that sort of technology - otherwise, NWS has a standardization so provided they are operating at that level/expectation ...yeah, I'd "guess" that it is accurate enough.

14 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Lol, I mean even before the 18z cycle I thought there was enough evidence to have an advisory here but maybe we are/were a little too close to the fringes. I didn't see the Euro so I'm not sure what that looked like. If it looked something like the 12z GFS then I can see why they didn't put up an advisory.

Hey what was that storm in your avatar - ...I vaguely remember that but it's killing me. Is that an older one from the WC?  ... that's not 1996 is it -

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hey what was that storm in your avatar - ...I vaguely remember that but it's killing me. Is that an older one from the WC?  ... that's not 1996 is it -

Looks like PDII to me.

edit: he answered right before me

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Didn't you hear, Miller A's no longer hug the coast. 

It's been 2 years here north of ALB since I've had a 6" storm. The ultimate screw zone. 2-4" of slop in April might cripple us at this point. Looks like an exciting storm in ENE though. I'll be in western CT for it, so I hope to see at least a couple inches:)

56 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

This.

Here's the ZFP for GC

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. Cold with highs around 20. North winds 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy in the evening...then clearing. Lows around 8 above. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Enjoy you cirrus, it's the only cirrus you've got.

We may get a 1-2" biscuit tossed our way.

6 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Light snow begins sometime around 7-8am and then heavy snow comes in three hours later and it turns extremely heavy according to the latest 22z RAP.

More importantly than 12+ hour forecasts by the RAP, each RAP cycle for initial hours (e.g. look at 0z timepoint) is trending deeper and more robust with that lobe of vorticity down by Oklahoma... ironically trending towards what the 18z mesos show.

That has me more confident in continued NW trend and potential for 8"+ totals for Boston metro.

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The disturbance looks extremely healthy on water vapor imagery over TX and OK.

AND it's super cold down there (relatively). Saw news out of my twitter feed from my old Austin mets saying it's going to be the coldest temps in 7 years (23F).

12 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

This will be your first Real Snowstorm here??  :D

You're right! Last year was quite boring, that's for sure. Stoked!

18 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Enjoy your first legit NE snowstorm, dude! Hook 'em!

Ha - that's the reason behind the avatar. Hook'em!

Archived