joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy Uncle at 36h (this is as far as plymouth state will go out these days on the early maps...and we don't get sfc maps anymore there)....

But this would be a huge hit if we could go another 12 hours...so expect a huge hit on the uqam maps in about 45 minutes:

2n4jy.gif

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Crazy Uncle at 36h (this is as far as plymouth state will go out these days on the early maps...and we don't get sfc maps anymore there)....

But this would be a huge hit if we could go another 12 hours...so expect a huge hit on the uqam maps in about 45 minutes:

2n4jy.gif

I'm pretty confident of a warning event in a lot of the region at least in sne.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2n4jy.gif

I like the position of that lakes low being back west and that southern s/w looks healthy

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2n4jy.gif

mmm, not to be a noog but I wouldn't be surprised if that solution actually screwed its self with that small lobe of positive vorticity advecting out just E of the Carolinas... Models that tend to over amplitude will always latch on to potential instability and run away with it...

In fact, I think what's actually going on is that in general the models "might" have been too far E with the surface wave all along, and as it gets closer, they are merely correcting closer to the q-v forcing, which is well west even of the NAM's 51 hour position... I could see it come closer to the coast -as is, the sfc wave is quite far E of the difluence/jet forcing at mid levels ...

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mmm, not to be a noog but I wouldn't be surprised if that solution actually screwed its self with that small lobe of positive vorticity advecting out just E of the Carolinas... Models that tend to over amplitude will always latch on to potential instability and run away with it...

In fact, I think what's actually going on is that in general the models "might" have been too far E with the surface wave all along, and as it gets closer, they are merely correcting closer to the q-v forcing, which is well west even of the NAM's 51 hour position... I could see it come closer to the coast -as is, the sfc wave is quite far E of the difluence/jet forcing at mid levels ...

Yeah a lot of models seem to be doing that...though I think the Ukie's coarseness probably helps it here...so it might not "run away" from the vortmax quite as much. Hard to say for sure without seeing another panel...but the 850mb low is already closed pretty far west on that run:

2n4jP.gif

Archived